If traveling through Ohio this year with your RV.

iforget

New Jersey Chapter Leader-retired
While we were heading home from Nashville after the rally this year, we stopped overnight in Ohio.
We received the following note from our son who is a police officer in Princeton, NJ and is very involved with narcotics and fellon busts in their county.

"Don't be surprised if U get stopped by troopers out in Ohio. I just from one of their leading narcotics officers talk about how grandparents are being paid to smuggle large amounts of dope in their RV's".

If you knew our kids, you would first think they were pulling your leg. When I asked if he was kidding, he said "Sadly no, I am not kidding"

Just passing this info on to my Heartland family..
And just think, we never really got inspected when we went through the boarder in Canada two years ago..

Pulltab

Well I have not heard of this, but they do make a lot of arrests on I75 and I70 but generally from people doing stupid things and tipping their hands. As you should know, they can not pull you over for no reason. I75 is a hot trail for transport of drugs from the south heading north. Now if your warning those rv'ers that ARE transporting drugs I see your concern LOL!

olcoon

This has been going on for years, just resurfaces every now and then. I think it was in the 70's when I first heard about it. Granny & Gramps do it to supplement their retirement, or other reasons. Sometimes they don't know what the package is...just being nice & delivering it as a favor for someone.

jimtoo

Also a few years back they were sneaking across the border and tying the package under the rv in the parks. Then following the rv to their next over night stop and removing the package. The Border Patrol check points used to not look at rv's to much till the dogs started finding things under them. Now here in S. Texas all the checkpoints have dogs that check almost every vehicle, and a lot still gets through.

mountain1

Timing is kind of funny. I told my wife the other day we could retire for good if we just made a few runs. I have dogs in the back of my toy hauler. I figured the police would never look there. She thought I was crazy since I am retired Army and currently a security officer at a university.
A friends nephew got busted in DC for running on his moped. The judge fined him a $100.00 then asked how much he made each day. The kid said $400.00 every day of the week. The nephew though one hundred to make four hundred was a very good trade.

sgtbigb

Hum, maybe that was the reason I was stop in Illinos last year on the way to the 2009 Rally. I thought it was DWB:=)