Importance of 4x4 for towing/camping?

GaryB

4x4

Thanks alot for the advice. Sorry to sound dense, but I have never owned a 4x4 before and know very little about them (although I'm learning thanks to these posts).

Last question - if I simply order a 4x4 Ford F250 without the "electronic shift on fly" option, does that mean that I'll receive the manual hubs? Or is there more to ordering manual hubs than that?

Gary

nhunter

I would not let the hub thing scare you away from the auto hubs. I am on Ford #5 with this style of hub and only had one problem, a vacuum seal go that cost $150cdn to repair, and am constantly using 4x4 and driving on rough / bush roads.

K

Ken Washington

Let me see if I can start something here! If you were to buy a Chevy you would have no problems! Just kidding Ford owners!!!!!!!
Ken

ct0218

I kinda agree with Ken--but it should be a GMC! Seriously though, I have had 0 problems with mine, use 4 wheel drive every day up the road to my house, 90K miles on it. One of my builders has an 01 like mine, uses 4 wheel drive every day, and 170K on it, again 0 problems. It is probably as bad not to ever use it as it is to abuse it. I wouldn't have a PU without 4WD.

GaryB,
Before you purchase any truck, I would do research on the vehicle that you are going to buy, like you are doing on your future 5er. I would go to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Note: They are unbiased! You will be able to look up Consumer Complaints, Recalls, Technical Service Bulletins, safety recalls and Defect Investigations. Here is the website and good luck on your reasearch!

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/