Improved Cooling for Norcold

Bohemian

Any insulation added should be non-flammable. Fiberglass is flammable and should not be used. HD and Lowes will carry mineral wool, which is the non-flammable alternative to fiberglass.

rxbristol

Any insulation added should be non-flammable. Fiberglass is flammable and should not be used. HD and Lowes will carry mineral wool, which is the non-flammable alternative to fiberglass.
Fiberglass insulation by itself is not flammable. If vapor barriers are applied to the fiberglass insulation, that material may be flammable.

Bohemian

Fiberglass insulation by itself is not flammable. If vapor barriers are applied to the fiberglass insulation, that material may be flammable.

Absolutely NOT!!! Fiberglass insulations IS flammable and is not approved for use where there is a potential fire hazard. Even without any craft paper. It may not even be used in contact with a zero clearance chimney. Mineral wool is required. (At least in most states)

Fiberglass insulation is coated with a lubricating oil in the mnaufactiriung process. Yes, the glass will not burn, but the oil will. Also, when heated in a fire the glass will just act like a sticky liquid and destroy everything it touches. No one should ever be anywhere near liquid glass without proper training.

wdk450

I put a self-deploying halon fire extinguisher in the outside refrigerator compartment ($170). Mac the Fire Guy's website seems to no longer have the halon. RV Cooling Unit Warehouse does list them: http://rvcoolingunit.com

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Absolutely NOT!!! Fiberglass insulations IS flammable and is not approved for use where there is a potential fire hazard. Even without any craft paper. It may not even be used in contact with a zero clearance chimney. Mineral wool is required. (At least in most states)

Fiberglass insulation is coated with a lubricating oil in the mnaufactiriung process. Yes, the glass will not burn, but the oil will. Also, when heated in a fire the glass will just act like a sticky liquid and destroy everything it touches. No one should ever be anywhere near liquid glass without proper training.

According to the North American Insulation Manufacturers Association:
http://www.naima.org/insulation-kno...afety-insulation-performance-and-testing.html
Fiber glass, rock wool, and slag wool are inorganic and, as such, are noncombustible. In fact, unfaced fiber glass, rock wool and slag wool insulations are accepted as a fire block in wood frame walls
Insulation and Fire Safety: http://www.naima.org/publications/BI472.PDF

Bohemian

Yes, as I said, fiberglass is non-combustible. It is still not approved as a home insulation for direct contact with heat sources. Mineral wool is approved. It has to do with the manufacturing process and what is left on the fiberglass, a residue of oil.

Look to you state building code.

wdk450

Yes, as I said, fiberglass is non-combustible. It is still not approved as a home insulation for direct contact with heat sources. Mineral wool is approved. It has to do with the manufacturing process and what is left on the fiberglass, a residue of oil.

Look to you state building code.

How is this "direct contact with heat sources" interpreted? My fiberglass batt is mainly in contact with the top and sides of the refrigerator, already equipped with closed cell styrofoam (flammable) insulation within its walls. The rear insulation contacts the cooling pipes/fins. The heat source in a RV refrigerator is the boiler, which is recessed within the refrigerator box.
Again, I am one of the few who has paid attention to the #1 cause of RV fires - The ammonia adsorbsion refrigerator. I have seen an RV refrigerator fire happening at an RV park. I spent the big money for the Halon self-deploying fire extinguisher. I feel safe with what I have, and the refrigerator heating sources do not have to work overtime (with more fire risk) with the insulation and venting modifications I have made. BTW, I also have a chain fire escape ladder and associated escape materials at my bedroom escape window - How many reading this can say that?

Bohemian

Nothing to worry about. I just read a motorcycle racing site. One company uses fiberglass insulation near it's exhaust system. The oil won't catch fire until it reaches about 300F and will only burn for 10-15 minutes. After that it's perfectly safe.