Installing Auto Level

jhardin

Has anyone installed the Lippert 4 point electric level? Do you need 6 ( etrailer states from rep. that 4 will work fine)? Had you rather have hydraulic instead of electric? I have Hydrolic landing gear , will it be replaced? All and any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jerry

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Looking at Lippert's website for the electric Ground Control they sell, both the 2.0 and 3.0 include replacement front jacks. If you already have hydraulic front jacks, it's not likely you want to replace those. Buying either set will give you two electric front jacks that you won't have much use for and they're not cheap.

As for installation, I installed the original 4-jack Ground Control system on my rig a few years back. It's not overly difficult if you have basic mechanical and electrical skills, but I had the original Venture single motor electric front jacks that I replaced with the Ground Control ones. I also didn't have any obstructions in my front compartment to remove and replace the front jacks. Some rigs are seriously obstructed.

Actually, I just replaced one of the front jack motors (Powerhead, it's called) that quit on me. Disconnect the plug, loosen three allen screws and it's off. Reverse, and the new one's on.

dbbls59

If 4 jacks were enough I doubt Lippert would have changed to 6. I had the 6 point Level up installed on mine. They did not replace the front jack and they added a second pump for the level up. The original pump runs the slides and the new one the level up. I like it very much and would not have another rv with out it. They have had special pricing the last two Goshen rallys. I think it was around 4 grand this year.

jayc

Legendary Member
We have the four point on our Landmark with the electric stabilizer in the rear and it works just fine.

sengli

If you already have front hydraulic jacks on your big horn, like I do.
Adding the other four hydraulics jacks, plus the controls...at the lippert facility in elkhart was quoted to me at $3300.00

Tundra2084

While at the Goshen Rally we had the Ground Control 3.0 installed and will never have another 5er without. We still have the rear stabilizers that came with the unit but we do Not have hydraulic slides so for us it wasn't a problem. You could always keep your front landing gear and add the 4pt to your unit. I believe that you would install one set in front of your tires and the other behind the tires. The problem is that you would then have 2 controls to deal with.

Crumgater

We added a 4pt mechanical ground control to our ElkRidge, DIY.
We did replace the front jacks (also mechanical, not hydraulic) - the new jacks are MUCH faster... and run off the remote, which is nice.

We had a hard time placing the back jacks due to the living room slide, but we made it work.
I think our next rig will have the auto-leveling system... we still have to eyeball it with a level on the counter, but it's a LOT easier now than with boards under the tires!

olcoon

From what I understand, it depends on the length of your rig. We had the 3.0 ground control (electric) installed on our rig at the rally in Goshen this year, and love it. While another club member had the 6 point installed on his coach. We both have the Elk Ridge, but ours is 30' while his is closer to 38' (don't know the exact length). If I remember correctly, they told him he'd be better off with the hydraulic 6 point leveling over the 4 point electric. He already had hydraulics on his unit for the slides, while ours only has electric. I didn't want to have hydraulic installed on ours, as that would have added more weight, and would have taken up more storage space, plus the added cost.

Ours works the same as the Level Up, but it's electric.