Insulate or leave open

bigdob24

Got a bug to look in the top vent on the out side for the fridge.
Im going to install a couple fans up there to pull the air up and through the vent.
Noticed that there is a large area above the top of the refrigerator that’s open .
Should I put some insulation in there before I install the fans or leave it open?
on the last BC there was no space above the fridge .
Ill also build a baffle plate that will direct the air out the vent and not into the space above the fridge .
BT

Gary521

Insulate the space above the fridge. There should be a baffle there to direct air over the top coil before exiting the top vent. You can attach a thermostat to the top coil to turn the fans on and off.

wdk450

The RV refrigerator manufacturers advise that their should be no "dead air" open voids on the top or sides of their ammonia refrigerators. Stuff all of these voids with fiberglass batting insulation. I used my manual awning rod as a stick/tool to stuff the bats back in there.

bigdob24

Gary, would you have a link to this thermostat?
BT

Insulate the space above the fridge. There should be a baffle there to direct air over the top coil before exiting the top vent. You can attach a thermostat to the top coil to turn the fans on and off.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Retrieve the installation instructions from the blue pouch that should have been in your rig or search them out online. In there are the specs on the baffling that should have been done at HL.
I re-engineered mine and added additional insulation. Didn’t add any more fans. IMO if the heat is better directed out they’re unnecessary.
Norcold 2118 fridge in a ‘17 3270 BH works well most days on a 6 setting. If it’s 90* or more I’ll change it to 7 but not higher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigdob24

I installed two fans that blow directly out the top luver of the cover.
They will pull air through the back fins and out.
I insulated over the top so no dead air space .
Ive got them wired so they run when the fridge is on and I’ll find a thermoster to wire in later.
Thanks for the advise
BT

Hi I put a home made baffle and a second fan behind ours. I also added snap switch/ thermostat. And a toggle switch also a pilot light on the eyebrow on refrig panel inside.I cut off the fans when not needed. (Wife a very lite sleeper can hear a flea fart)Thermostats I got from e bay Keeps fridge on medium setting about 0 in freezer and 34 in fridge.Also put a fan inside fridge now top and bottom are about same temp and no frost.

5pcs KSD301 45C 113°F Thermostat Normal Open NO Temperature Control Switch Temp

i4110peter

We just got a 2018 BH 3160. We haven’t even taken it in for the warranty work yet. Absolutely love this web site. I have learned so much. I would like to see more info on the 2018s. I will keep visiting this site anytime I have a question.

Can you tell me if this is too much dead space. Fridge does not work, shows error op/L1, which I understand is due to an over heat occurrence.
Thanks for all the good info.
Fridge.jpg

i4110peter

bigdob24

That’s exactly what I had , insulate out to the edge but don’t restrict the air flow at the coils.
I mounted to fans at the top and the blow directly out the top vent luver.
THE Li Op error can sometimes be fixed .
Turn the fridge off , use a strong magnet and rub it over the area my finger is touching, sometimes you can hear it reset the contact, not always. Turn it back on and see if it reset.
My last BC did this a couple times and it reset , if it continues to show the error it means it’s weak and needs replaced if it won’t hold.
Let us know if it works.
You might find a thread I the forum somewhere on this, seems like I remember seeing one.
Good Luck
BT

Attachments

• 4F9AC6EB-FCFE-4ACB-98B7-326F8ABB5425.jpg
    4F9AC6EB-FCFE-4ACB-98B7-326F8ABB5425.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 41

wdk450

Plugging up the dead spaces around the top and sides of the refrig. is all about minimizing heat gain into the cold boxes from hot environments. Air that can move is air that can gain heat from the outside and transmit that heat to the refrigerator box. The ammonia absorption refrigerator manufacturers even want little dead air volume behind the units, but do want a 0 to 1/4 inch space behind the cooling unit fins. They want the rising outside vent air which accomplishes the heat exchange from the cooling unit to go smoothly upward (the comparison to chimney air flow has been frequently used in this topic in the past), WITHOUT this upward airflow having much of a chance of taking a bypass route near the refrigerator compartment outside wall and therefore NOT DOING ANY HEAT EXCHANGE WITH THE COOLING UNIT FINNED COMPONENTS. The main type of RV ammonia refrigerator installation, in non-slideout motorhomes and trailers, has a straight-to-the-roof -chimney type of installation. You hear about a lot less problems with these refrigerators, than ours in slides with lower and upper heat exchange air vents.

Just on the subject, I have been fighting the above 100 degree daily temperatures for a couple of months here in the California Central Valley (it has finally cooled down some in the past 2 weeks). I had been having daily summer problems keeping the refrigerator below 40 degrees in the heat of the day, even with my tactic of moving 2 frozen blue ice big blocks into the refrig at noon, and back to the freezer at about 10 pm. This was all with the cool control at maximum, and the temperature controlling thermistor at its highest (warmest sensing) position. Anyways, about 4 weeks ago in the same thermal conditions I had been going through all summer, the refrig/freezer temperature suddenly dropped to where I had to put the control setting at its midpoint to keep the refrigerator box above freezing. I can only guess that maybe a partial clog in the ammonia plumbing cleared itself in this 10 year old refrigerator, and it started working better. Everything else on the refrigerator system (outside fans, inside fans, thermistor position, circuit board thermistor adjuster potentiometer, door seals) was the same as before. And, oh yeah, this rig hasn't moved for 15 months.

Crossing my fingers that this holds up.

i4110peter

Hi I put a home made baffle and a second fan behind ours. I also added snap switch/ thermostat. And a toggle switch also a pilot light on the eyebrow on refrig panel inside.I cut off the fans when not needed. (Wife a very lite sleeper can hear a flea fart)Thermostats I got from e bay Keeps fridge on medium setting about 0 in freezer and 34 in fridge.Also put a fan inside fridge now top and bottom are about same temp and no frost.

5pcs KSD301 45C 113°F Thermostat Normal Open NO Temperature Control Switch Temp

It's amazing what you can learn by reading the installation manual. It recommends adding baffles to direct the hot air towards the upper vent.
Items 13 and 26 in this picture. I guess I will be doing this!

Fridge Baffles.jpg