Insulating/Heating Sewer pipes

GWRam

What is the best way to protect exposed sewer pipe? My forward black and grey tank shutoff valves are up inside the
enclosed bottom of our Gateway 3650BH. The aft black and grey tank valves are at the external hose connection. I
have approx 3 ft of exposed black tank pipe and about 5ft of exposed grey tank pipe. I don't want to loose use of my
aft bathroom or outdoor kitchen so I know that water will end up in those exposed pipes. Can I put heat tape on the
sewer pipe and wrap with foam insulation without causing any problems?
Thanks
Dave

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I wrapped mine in heat tape then insulated with foil backed fiberglass rolls. (Foam insulation is not recommended/flammability rating) I then bought and wired in a 150 watt inverter 12vdc to 120ac near the UDC. That way I can plug in the heat tape to the inverter while traveling.

Last edited:

GWRam

Thanks. That sounds good and simple enough. Just curious, what problems does the foam insulation cause?

GWRam

I wrapped mine in heat tape then insulated with foil backed fiberglass rolls. (Foam insulation is not recommended/flammability rating)

What did you use as your outer weather proof layer? I have seen the foil/fiberglass rolls come with clear plastic. Did you just use that?

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
What did you use as your outer weather proof layer? I have seen the foil/fiberglass rolls come with clear plastic. Did you just use that?

The insul rolls I used were from Lowe's, they were 25' x 2' x 1/4" thick fiberglass foil backed. Added another layer of foil tape over the entire system. I sprayed the finished product with 3M rubber undercoating. The black color blends in well under the rv. I'll take a photo today.

GWRam

The insul rolls I used were from Lowe's, they were 25' x 2' x 1/4" thick fiberglass foil backed. Added another layer of foil tape over the entire system. I sprayed the finished product with 3M rubber undercoating. The black color blends in well under the rv. I'll take a photo today.
Thanks for all the info and taking time to get the photos. That will work great. Timing is perfect. Its forecast to be below 32 every day on our next camping trip. Thank You.