Interesting Torque Wrench Video

BigGuy82

I was always taught that any extension that is on the same axis as the drive head on a torque wrench will not affect the reading. However, on a couple of forums I've read different opinions on the subject. When I installed my Flex-Air pin box, my brother-in-law (who does a lot of auto restorations) insisted that you had to increase the torque reading to compensate for flex in the extension.

I called the Snap-On Tools tech department and they said that the reading is not at all affected by the use of extensions - they referred me to this video. I think you'll find it interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9qOpYBtMLA

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Very interesting thanks for sharing. I always felt it didn't change that much but I'm surprised to see it didn't change at Al with 22' of extensions on it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

billk263

California-South Chapter Leaders
Well, I guess that's it! 22'! Haha!
I'll never need more than 21'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
After watching that video I watched a related video on calibration comparisons between an expensive torque wrench Snap-on) and one less costly (Harbor Freight).
The inexpensive wrench was not very accurate. It might be alright for wheel lugs but not for critical engine work.

Peace
Dave

Gary521

Doesn't this fall under one of Murphy's laws about believing what a brother-in-law says about anything?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Anytime I check the torque on lug nuts for both the truck and the trailer, I have to use an extension to get at them. If there was a variance to worry about, someone would have to come up with conversion charts and specs for whatever type/length of extension one might use.

olcoon

I had to buy a new torque wrench a few months ago. Contrary to the rules on my "Man Card", I broke down & read the directions, ok, I was bored & had time on my hands. Anyway, the directions said that putting an extension on the torque wrench wouldn't make any difference.

On the other hand, after watching the attached video, there was another one from Western Iowa Tech, showing that there can be a variation, but basically what they were doing was making the torque wrench (the handle part) longer. They put a crows foot on it, and also another wrench type affair to check torque in a tight area. HERE is the link.

uncledon

Her chauffeur
Over the 40 some years in the machine maintenance field including a stint with Uncle Sam, I was always told like the OP's BIL that there was a "flex factor" with extensions, but the physics of the matter doesn't hold up. This video was a great validation of a fact! Thx.

BigGuy82

After watching that video I watched a related video on calibration comparisons between an expensive torque wrench Snap-on) and one less costly (Harbor Freight).
The inexpensive wrench was not very accurate. It might be alright for wheel lugs but not for critical engine work.

Peace
Dave

Saw the same one. My experience with Harbor Freight is that basic stuff (jack stands, benchs, carts, jacks, etc) is fine and can save you a few bucks. I wouldn't trust them on any precision tools. Comparing an HF torque wrench to a Snap-On is like comparing a Yugo to a Rolls.

Bones

I've been using craftsman tools for years. Sad that they have been sold. I don't understand why Snap on tools are so expensive. It does not make sense.

jnbhobe

I've been using craftsman tools for years. Sad that they have been sold. I don't understand why Snap on tools are so expensive. It does not make sense.

That's because they are all warrantied for ever, not just some, ALL, and they come to you

porthole

Retired

That's because they are all warrantied for ever, not just some, ALL, and they come to you

You get what you pay for. With snap on you are getting a better quality for the most part and the warranty is good, though not perfect.
Craftsman warranty was always the best in the industry, "unconditional", and it meant just that.
Snap on, Mac and Matco, the three biggest independents, have conditions on warranties. Snap On wrenches and sockets were not covered for chrome peeling, which was a problem years ago. It was up to the independent retailers to cover the problem for you.

For the longest time snap on was sold only through independent retailers out of trucks that traveled to you. Limited market - maximum price.
And not every tool on the snap on truck was made by snap on. And they have an alternative line with many products, "Blue Point"

If you need a combination wrench at home, occasional use on cars and stuff, it is hard to beat Craftsman for decent quality.
One off wrench for special applications, Northern Hydraulics or harbor freight is hard to beat.

If your career depends on wrenches holding up to daily work, Snap, Mac or Matco are outfits you probably already have an account with.

I was curious about this so I looked up a typical multi piece combination wrench set at 4 vendors.

Northern Hydraulics - Klutch Raised Panel Combination Wrench Set — 14-Pc. SAE - $35.00

harbor freight - 14 Pc SAE V-Groove Combination Wrench Set - $40.00

Craftsman - 14 pc. Standard 12 pt. Combination Wrench Set with Deluxe Roll Pouch - $59.00

Snap On - 11 pc 12-Point Combination Wrench Set (3/8 –1") - $485.00

I have had the jaws spread with less expensive wrenches, never had that problem with my snap on or mac wrenches.

Torque wrenches. My first torque wrench came with my Sears Craftsman tool box set that I bought back in the mid 70's (High School era). That was the old beam style and I have no idea what happened to it.

My first real torque wrench was a 1/2" Drive 200 ft lbs Snap On. After several years I sent it out to be recalibrated, without asking the cost. Oh-my, re-cal cost was almost as much as a new wrench back then.

I still have that wrench along with some specialty torque wrenches, a 150 inch pound dial torque and 200 inch pound click.
I also have two Craftsman electronic torque wrenches (1/2" and 3/8"). And for the money they are excellent.

I still use the sockets from that mid 70's Craftsman tool set, and they were with me through 20+ years at new car dealers and a 1 year stint at Caterpiller, along with an extensive history of cars, trucks, motorcycles and diesel engines in our boats. Have only broken a few and almost always using an impact gun when I should have been using a ratchet wrench :rolleyes: