Inverter location?

caissiel

We only use the small appliances like TV stereo and entertaiment equipment. I toast with propane and all other equipment runs of DC or Propane. So I found that the slide CBreaker of my 3500RL was on all the slides plugs and 15Amp (1800 Watts). So I ran a 3 wire 14Ga conduit to the storage area where the Inverter is installed and put a 2 way switch and a plug. The position A of the switch is wired throught the 15amp fuse to the Slide Plugs. The Position B of the switch is wired from the new plug to the slide plugs. The new plug when connected to the inverter will now power the slide plugs. I made a 14Ga connector cable that plugs in the new plug and the inverter. There is no chance of reverse power to the fuse box as when the inverter is on the line it is isolated from the fuse box. The Fridge is also on the slide plug, so I just manually set it to propane.

wdk450

Inverter wiring

Your extention cord idea is good because it keeps your inverter-supplied AC away from the rest of the AC circuits, unlike connecting the inverter to the trailer's shore power inlet. I envision (especially after having a 12 hour power outage at the Central California Rally this weekend, and my wife needing her dialysis treatment) running a wire to the kitchen island and installing a dedicated inverter outlet there, maybe with an orange outlet cover to denote it's different source. I would connect stuff there or use short extentions, as needed. Many of the better inverters have wired remote control options which I would wire in next to the outlet, which allow you to turn the inverter on-off without going outside. You need to turn the inverter off when not in use, because it draws 12 volt power when it is on even when you do not have a load connected to it.