Inverter runs continually

I have a 2012 Elk Ridge 37 Ulta and I have noticed the last several days the inverter is running constantly. I just replaced the battery due to a local service station telling me the battery had a bad cell. I replaced the battery and the inverter is still running. I don't have any lights on in the camper and I am not sure what is causing the inverter to run.

danemayer

Hi spencer387,

Sounds like there may be something wrong with the Power Converter. If it's not cycling through it's output modes normally, it's going to overcharge the battery, which might explain the bad cell. If you have a voltmeter, you can check the voltage at the battery to find out what's going on.

Here's a link to the manuals section of the forum, which has several of the Power Converter manuals. If yours is here, you may be able to troubleshoot the problem. The Power Converter is usually located behind the basement wall, near the back side of the fuse box.

If you're not comfortable doing this kind of troubleshooting, you'll need to get to an authorized servicer to have them check it out.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
BTW what you are calling an inverter is really a converter. It converts AC power to DC power.

Bri

I recently had the similar situation where the converter fan was running more than usual. After a few days of being connected to shore power the battery started to cook. It turns out I put the wrong battery on the trailer. I connected an old battery that I know would not fully take a charge. By what I have read the converter was trying to charge a battery that had a bad plate, perhaps a short, and actually overcharged the battery. This can cause the battery to actually explode. I recommend having the new battery checked you never know it might be bad.

M-S

Here is a question on the subject of converters. I have a 65 amp WFCO unit, and the battery is good. I have had it load tested and it tested out good. I have experienced the 12 volt lights flickering, bright dim bright quite frequently. I pulled the basement wall out to see if a wire was loose on the converter, and when the lights started flickering, I heard a buzzing sound almost like an arcing sound coming from the converter. Question now, is the converter going bad, it is an electronic device, and if so, is the Main Board Assembly what I need to purchase for the repair? Or is there something else wrong that I am not thinking of. Please help:confused:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds like the same symptoms I had right before the converter died.
There are no user replaceable parts.
You can buy a new converter or contact the manufacturer for information on having your rebuilt. I think its a little over $100.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2