Is it normal for the shower to drain to a black tank?

farfromdunn

The tanks run in a series and although each has a separate valve, the front 3 tanks all empty/dump from ONE outlet.
Exactly. Mine is the same way. Three of the 4 tanks empty through one common outlet. The difference being that the individual tank valves are close to the tank outlets and do not obstruct the main trunk of the common drain. In theory I could empty all three tanks at the exact same time. I would suspect yours is the same.

Lcc1993

Exactly. Mine is the same way. Three of the 4 tanks empty through one common outlet. The difference being that the individual tank valves are close to the tank outlets and do not obstruct the main trunk of the common drain. In theory I could empty all three tanks at the exact same time. I would suspect yours is the same.
our individual tank valves are on the main trunk of the common drain pipe.

Lcc1993

Well... that's a really stupid design...
I completely agree! We couldn't believe it when we saw it on our first trip! Never had any issues on any of our other RV's so didn't even give this a second thought before we actually had to dump. My husband got these pics today, wish he'd gotten the entire length of the main pipe but I think you get a better idea as to the placement of the individual valves on the main pipe.

IMG_1146.jpgIMG_1145.jpg.

Lcc1993

We have a 2021 303BH Prowler travel trailer. We have been camping in it 3 times so far. I have noticed the black water tank filling up faster than normal usage. When I go to dump the tanks I noticed the grey water tank has barely any water in it. The black tank is always full. I have a portable tank that I have to take with me to dump the tank while at campsite during our trip. Last week I had a suspicion that the sink drained into the black water tank. I ran a water hose in the sink for a little while and turned it off. I checked the grey water tank and it was empty. So I checked the black water tank and it showed 1/3 full. So I opened the toilet valve and looked in there and it was 1/3 full. I called my dealer and they said that Prowler is now plumbing the sink water into the black water tanks to prevent solid buildups in the tank itself. I contacted Prowler on Monday thru email and asked them if this was true and I have not heard back from them yet. It makes logical sense but I have owned several campers and have never seen this type of plumbing before. They also have the grey water and black water tank stickers wrong on the outside of my camper. And yes I know which one is the black water tank and which one is the grey water tank. The shower, bathroom sink, and kitchen sink is supposed to drain in the grey water and the toilet drains into the black water tank. I do know my campers but this has me puzzled and just would like some type of solid confirmation.
We just bought a SouthFork Cruiser 3780 MB (same as Milestone 377MB) and on our first trip this weekend we were puzzled as to why the black tank was almost full 2 days in. Called Heartland on Tuesday when we got back and they sent the drain & tank layout to me via email. Our shower drains to the BLACK TANK! 😠 And to make things worse the way the main pipe drains out, you have to always empty the 2 black tanks before it allows you to empty the grey tank. Wish I'd known all of this before we bought it. We would've bought a different model for sure!

Lcc1993

Sucks that you HAVE to dump the black in order to dump the forward gray.
I even asked husband if we could install gate valves right above where black tank pipe meets main (on black tank pipes) but there doesn't appear to be much room between the underbelly and main pipe.

Dahillbilly

the drawing looks correct but that's not what you are describing. i have dual grey & black tanks. One black tank had it's own dump connection. The other black & both grey tanks connect to a second dump connection. I can empty each one anytime without having to empty any other tank. Good luck

Lcc1993

the drawing looks correct but that's not what you are describing. i have dual grey & black tanks. One black tank had it's own dump connection. The other black & both grey tanks connect to a second dump connection. I can empty each one anytime without having to empty any other tank. Good luck
Husband installed a double gate valve w/ dump connection today between tank valves 1(grey) and 2(black that includes shower) so at least we'll be able to dump just the grey when needed (into our portable tank if not full hookup). Still doesn't solve the shower water draining into the black tank but we'll figure that out later, I guess.

Attachments

• Valterra double valve.jpg
    Valterra double valve.jpg
    551.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited: