Is My Fifth Wheel Hitch The Right One?

Nuclearcowboy

We just traded up from a 2016 Bighorn model 3270RS to a 2017 Bighorn model 3970 RD. The 2016 unit has a dry weight of 11,965 lbs and a GVRW of 15,500. Our new unit jumps both of these numbers up to 13,950 lbs for the dry weight and a GVWR of 16,000 lbs. Our dealer installed a 16k rated Reese fifth wheel hitch when we bought the first unit and it worked just fine. However, with the larger new unit, I'm a little concerned we might be pushing the limits of this hitch. A couple of questions - are the factory weights realistic for the average RV'er when loaded? Just what do the weights mean? What weight should I be looking at when sizing my hitch? Will my existing hitch be OK for this new unit? As a footnote, we always travel with gray and black tanks empty and only about 1/3 in the fresh water tank. I certainly want my dually and trailer to stay married when on the road!

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

You can always pull it on to a scale at a truck stop.
It's sounds like your pushing the posted weight limit on the hitch but I would think that is a very safe number they rate it at.
I really don't think you need to worry about it
"This is just my opinion"

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Bones

I agree. If the hitch is rated for 16k and your pulling 16k You are within manufactures specifications of the hitches capacities. If you would like to feel better than you may be able to change out the head of the unit. You would have to call Reese about that.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I had the same question when we went from a 15,000 Bighorn to a 16,250 Landmark. We traded it for a 20k Reese and are much happier.

Gaffer

Everyone should know what their loaded weights are. You won't likely get to 16k. Even at 16k you are ok.

SNOKING

Everyone should know what their loaded weights are. You won't likely get to 16k. Even at 16k you are ok.

I tend to disagree on the getting to 16K. That model has only 2050 carrying capacity. Our 3575el has 3050 carrying capacity and we are pushing to almost 16K. Difference his new trailer has 1000 pounds more dry weight and the same GVWR. We have a B&W manual slider rated to 18K, truck is rated to tow 17,050 5th wheel.

So I think maybe a new hitch is in order.

Chris