Is there special televisions for rv's

kevduf4

I would like to put a TV in my MPG 183, and have been looking at a lot of past posts & haven't found any answers. Can you just put in a home TV or are there special TV's made for Rv's? Thanks for your help.

Kevin, MPG183 w/Ford f150

Speedy

I was told by several dealers that the Samsung TVs that were installed in various units were not holding up as well as units with Toshiba. Now there is no proof to those statements because we don't know model numbers and such. But you may look at parts/retailers that sell to campers versus just buying a TV from Walmarts electronics department.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
We have a Vizio 32" LCD and a Vizio 19" LED in our North Trail. Both have a great picture and have worked great for the past year.

Jamie

branson4020

Icantre Member
I would like to put a TV in my MPG 183, and have been looking at a lot of past posts & haven't found any answers. Can you just put in a home TV or are there special TV's made for Rv's? Thanks for your help.

Kevin, MPG183 w/Ford f150

In the old,old days, TV's for RV's used to be 12V. Nowadays, there's no difference. Some manufacturers (Jensen, for instance) make a business out of targeting the RV market and make claims about being "specially designed" to withstand vibration or whatever. Its nonsense. Any TV you would put in your house will be just fine in your RV.

jayc

Legendary Member
We had a 32" Samsung TV in our Bighorn that we bought from Best Buy. Our original went out and we upgraded and it worked just fine.

wingfoot

One word of caution...LCD's should not be exposed to extreme low temperatures..If you look in your owners manual it will warn against this, at least mine does and I've asked the knowledgeable people and they verify this. The unknown question would be how low do temps. have to be to be extreme?...From what I've learned/been told it is, anything below freezing.

SmokeyBare

I like how Toshiba's software works like a Cell Phone. Giving you a signal strength icon at the top left corner of the screen, showing the Strength of the channel.
When going through the channel scan software the TV's software shows the strength of the Signal coming over the air from the station.
This type of signal strength meter allows for fine tuning the antenna for the strongest signal possible.

pegmikef

I have a Sylvania in my North Trail and had a Sylvania in my Edge. I got them both on sale at Sears (cheaper than Walmart and Best Buy at the time for the same size). I recommend for any TV you get to make sure it has audio out ports so you can pipe the audio to your trailer speakers. Not all TVs have audio out ports.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Jensen will tell you that their TV's are specifically made and reinforced for installing in RV's. That's one reason I replaced our stolen Jensen and Sylvania with two Jensens (on the insurance company's dime).

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We are still using our Oliveia 42". But we have used a Vizio 32" and it worked well.

Any TV you can use today in your house on an outdoor TV Antenna or any of the other cable, internet or such will work in your RV. The older TV's have to a converter to see OTA (Over The Air) to view the new HD signals.

The real problem is going to be making sure the connections in your trailer are working right and installed right. That is the biggest problem most people have. You will be able to get a new TV working.

Now I am not banging Heartland.... Sometimes it is a job to figure out were everything goes. Once you figure it out your good to go.

BC

cableman

Lcd liquid crystal display. That means you need to keep it from freezing in the winter. I bring mine in just for that reason. I have a sirius radio in my vehicle, and on cold mornings the display comes on a little slow till it warms up.

crazybanshee

I leave all my LCD tv's in the camper every winter and they see below 0 temps all the time. Ten years with no problems.
Doug

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Some manufacturers claim RV use but I really don't know if there's a difference. We've had both a 32" and a 19" Vizio for 5 years with no issues. We just make sure they are secure for travel. Since we head south for the winter, I can't respond to the cold weather worries.:angel:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Until they were appropriated by scum-bags, we left them in the trailer over the winter. Just need to let them warm up (naturally) above freezing before putting power to them.

PeternLiane

We use our Toshiba all year round. We use it inside the house and it goes every where we go with our trailer. The temperature has been down to -5 and up to 105+, we have not had one issue it. The antenna was a different issue, but the Toshiba has a great picture still after 4 years.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We had an Olevia (no longer in business) that came with our RV. It lasted 5 years. We replaced it with a Sony LCD 32 " and it works great. We have a Polaroid in the bedroom and it works great too.

danemayer

The Sharp 42" that came with our Rushmore has this storage spec:

Storage temperature: -4°F to +140°F (-20°C to +60°C)

Happy Campers

Our olivia decided to quit last year and I replaced it with a LG to the swing-out mount.It works for us and everything hooked up just fine.