Jensen Entertainment Unit

Littlejim

I just purchased a Bighorn 2017 3750FL 5th Wheel RV. It has a 55" Front TV which is awesome. My problem is that it also has a Jensen Entertainment Center. I cannot get the Jensen controlled speakers to work on the TV Sound just the TV speakers. I am getting the TV signal from a Direct TV satellite system. Don't get a signal on the antenna at my location so cant tell if that would work with it Works well with a CD or DVD but not the TV. Probably an easy answer but it escapes me. All kinds of options in the menu section but nothing for TV Sound. Owners brochure doesn't help. Have not yet asked HL for help. Dealer doesn't have a clue.

danemayer

Hi Littlejim,

You'll need to add a cable from the TV audio out, assuming there is one, to the Jensen audio input. Another possibility, which may actually work better, is to take the audio out from the Directv receiver, assuming it has one.

I added an Optical TOS cable from the back of our Directv receiver to the input on the back of our sound system. Both had Optical connectors. The reason I took the output of the Directv receiver is that there was lag time associated with my Directv DVR receiver when I used the TV audio out. I got rid of the lag by using the receiver output.

What you need depends on which inputs and outputs you have. If you have a Jensen 990, it has both an Optical TOS input, and a Digital COAX input. Your Directv receiver will probably have one of these. Your TV may have one - the Digital COAX being most likely.

If your Jensen is a model that only has RCA Phono audio inputs, you can get a converter to go from digital to analog. Or perhaps your TV has RCA phono output - although that's getting rare.

We have an owner-written RV Audio Connections Illustrated Guide that shows how to connect in different types of situations. You'll have to consult the manual for your TV and your Jensen to find what inputs and outputs you have.

NHCelt

Try using the optical or HDMI settings in the menu. Mine was connected and ready to go and works on both settings with both dish and ota.

Littlejim

Thanks for your reply. I am already using the HDMI output from DirecTV and get an awesome picture on the 55" TV but not getting sound from the Jensen system. Just getting sound from the TV speakers. There are no common outputs from the DirecTV to the TV inputs except HDMI. I checked using a small mirror. Of course there is no easy access to the inputs of the TV without removing it from the wall since it is permanently mounted. Cant get to the rear of the Jensen to check for inputs since it is sealed in. So no real problem just like to take full advantage of the Jensen system.

Dennyha

I connected the audio out from my 55" Jensen TV to a Sony sound bar. The only digital audio out on the back of the Jensen TV is a S/PDIF. I bought a Coaxial to Toslink optical converter from Amazon (my sound bar had an optical digital audio input.) I mounted the converter onto the back of the TV with Velcro, plugged in the power source, and the appropriate digital coax and optical cables and everything works well. I think I had to go into the tv menu to change audio from the tv speakers to external. Now, the sound at plays audio from whatever input I use for the tv.

NHCelt

LittleJim...I'm not near mine but I'll try to go from memory. My Dish receiver has HDMI out which plugs into the factory HDMI outlets in the cabinet over the tv..
This is pre connected to the Jensen receiver. The hdmi cable is carrying both audio and video and should just need you to set your tv to external speakers via the tv menu and the Jenson receiver to hdmi on the menu. Optical will probably work as well if there is an optical out of the tv.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

NHCelt

Thr Jenson receiver with show hdmi ?? Something on the display. Make sure to hit enter after you dial to hdmi.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Kathi-27

on hour 2017 you turn on jensen and go to source button to optical press enter wait a few sec and then you can use the volume on the Jensen and the tv volume. we have 2017 3875fb

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Or you could run an audio cable from the headphone jack of the TV to the front AUX input of the Jensen stereo unit.

That is what we've had to do in both of the Heartland products we've had.

Pongo

Mine already had the optical cable installed had to go to tv menu and choose the sound output to it then select optical input on stereo to hear sound but I have an issue that after awhile the sound quits like it goes to sleep I change the channel on tv and it comes back on again

WitnessProtection

retired Arkansas Chapter Leaders
We do this all the time. First use the TV remote and mute the TV. Then go to the Jensen system and hit the "source" button until it says optical. Press enter on the Jensen system. That works for us, but you may need to turn the volume up quite a bit.

mlpeloquin

Don't have a Jenson, but if the TV has a HDMI out, the you can get a HDMI to RCA out cable. Some TVs have an HDMI output jack. My TV bit the dust and I replaced it. It does not have an output at all for audio. I wired the Direct TV audio RCA output to the surround sound. Haven't worked on the OTA sound yet. If I cannot get it, I will just use the TV speakers. I rarely use OTH in the living room.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Don't have a Jenson, but if the TV has a HDMI out, the you can get a HDMI to RCA out cable. Some TVs have an HDMI output jack. My TV bit the dust and I replaced it. It does not have an output at all for audio. I wired the Direct TV audio RCA output to the surround sound. Haven't worked on the OTA sound yet. If I cannot get it, I will just use the TV speakers. I rarely use OTH in the living room.

I'll bet it has a headphone jack.

That is how I have our Vizio LED flat screen hooked up to the audio unit in our Prowler . . . and how I had it hooked up to the Jensen unit that was in our Trail Runner.

mlpeloquin

I'll bet it has a headphone jack.

That is how I have our Vizio LED flat screen hooked up to the audio unit in our Prowler . . . and how I had it hooked up to the Jensen unit that was in our Trail Runner.

No audio headphone jack. It is an LG 4000K 43 inch smart LED. Just how smart is it if it doesn't have an audio output and no blue tooth? It replaced a Samsung 40 inch LED. Small mod to the TV mount and it went in really easy. I assumed (which stands for "make an a*s out of you and me") that it had a audio or HDMI output. Never assume! Terrific picture from front and side.

Pongo

Thanks for your reply. I am already using the HDMI output from DirecTV and get an awesome picture on the 55" TV but not getting sound from the Jensen system. Just getting sound from the TV speakers. There are no common outputs from the DirecTV to the TV inputs except HDMI. I checked using a small mirror. Of course there is no easy access to the inputs of the TV without removing it from the wall since it is permanently mounted. Cant get to the rear of the Jensen to check for inputs since it is sealed in. So no real problem just like to take full advantage of the Jensen system.
go in to the tv menu sound and you have to choose an output for your sound mine already had an optical cable from tv to stereo so I chose that as the output