Keeping a Refridgerator cold when driving

Oregon_Camper

How well does that work in the forest under heavy pine tree canopy? We seem to do quite well with just the generator running a few hours in the AM and PM.

In this particular site, the sun will start to hit the RV around 11am and then until around 6pm. We get some shade rolling through, but with 4 long/large panels (series then parallel...output 554W, 48v 10.2amp) it does a great job of topping off batteries every day

And just my personal feeling about camping in the woods, but I am very happy without the TV and electronics going all day and night. It also keeps the kids outdoors enjoying nature rather than with their faces in a phone, IPad or TV set.

I FULLY agree with this concept. This is our 4th trailer and when the kids were younger (and came with us) they would be outside until they dropped. We didn't have solar on last 3 RV's, so running TV/Computers was never an option.

Now that kids are gone, my wife and I camp alone, we will come in around 9pm and watch a movie or TV show (pre-recorded on computer), turn on heated/massage seats enjoy some comforts. :) You can see the motorcycle in the image below...those seats are not as comfortable, so after riding ~4 hours a day, my wife and I look forward to our heated/massage chair every night.

- - - Updated - - -

My exact scenario...ours has a 1000 watt dedicated inverter so, truck charges batteries, batteries powers inverter, inverter powers refrigerator.

I'm guessing here, but I would venture to say you're inverter will consume more amps to run the frig, than you can put back into the battery via the umbilical cord connected to the truck.

Would be an interesting test to leave camp with 100% battery, have frig running via inverter, drive ~4-5 hours and see where battery level is when you arrive.

LBR

In this particular site, the sun will start to hit the RV around 11am and then until around 6pm. We get some shade rolling through, but with 4 long/large panels (series then parallel...output 554W, 48v 10.2amp) it does a great job of topping off batteries every day

I FULLY agree with this concept. This is our 4th trailer and when the kids were younger (and came with us) they would be outside until they dropped. We didn't have solar on last 3 RV's, so running TV/Computers was never an option.

Now that kids are gone, my wife and I camp alone, we will come in around 9pm and watch a movie or TV show (pre-recorded on computer), turn on heated/massage seats enjoy some comforts. :) You can see the motorcycle in the image below...those seats are not as comfortable, so after riding ~4 hours a day, my wife and I look forward to our heated/massage chair every night.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm guessing here, but I would venture to say you're inverter will consume more amps to run the frig, than you can put back into the battery via the umbilical cord connected to the truck.

Would be an interesting test to leave camp with 100% battery, have frig running via inverter, drive ~4-5 hours and see where battery level is when you arrive.
It WOULD be interesting to pull a real-world test of alternator input/refrigerator draw-down. It seems to be very efficient and runs very little IMO when we're camping and it will be less when doors aren't opened for a day of travel.

Without this test, I am only assuming that the short battery draw down time when refer is running is less that when it is off and batteries are getting zapped into shape again by the truck....

The CY has 2-12V dealer mounted batteries in front compartment and I mounted 3 more 12V in basement until I do the solar project and new battery bank. We do supplement at night with our 2K Yamaha.

Oregon_Camper

It WOULD be interesting to pull a real-world test of alternator input/refrigerator draw-down. It seems to be very efficient and runs very little IMO when we're camping and it will be less when doors aren't opened for a day of travel.

Without this test, I am only assuming that the short battery draw down time when refer is running is less that when it is off and batteries are getting zapped into shape again by the truck....

The CY has 2-12V dealer mounted batteries in front compartment and I mounted 3 more 12V in basement until I do the solar project and new battery bank. We do supplement at night with our 2K Yamaha.

Going to need you to pull this off and let us know the outcome...I don't have the fancy residential frig :)

Man...5x12v batteries!! That is a lot. I thought my 2x12v Trojans had a lot of juice for dry camping here in Oregon (which offers some of the best camping ever!!) but your setup is sweet.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

This thread is talking about running the RV fridge on propane or not at all while traveling.
Apparently it has taken a left turn.!!!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Oregon_Camper

I have an associated question about the propane gas feed location into the trailer. My Sundance has a 1/2" id black pipe from front (driver's side) compartment leading to rear (passenger side) area along frame rail, and at a point around 1' behind rear wheel it manifolds into 3 or 4 individual 3/8" copper coil lines that enter up through trailer floor directly behind the rear wheel. Like I stated before, this trailer shows signs of a previous tire blowout, and pipes do not look like a factory install. With that being said, is this location directly behind the rear trailer wheel the standard location for gas lines to enter up into the trailer, and is it common to run these copper lines from frame rail location directly behind rear tire to units in trailer?

You should create a new post for this question, so it gets the correct folks looking at it.

MOVED HERE https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/64302-Propane-tubing-and-pipes

RandyDeb

Re: What did you do to your camper today?

Dan,

Do you guys leave your LP running the frig while on the move? I have been told not to for safety reasons.

uncledon

Her chauffeur
Re: What did you do to your camper today?

Dan,

Do you guys leave your LP running the frig while on the move? I have been told not to for safety reasons.

What is the safety reason for not running fridge on LP? If it has to do with flame failure, the control valve will shut off gas flow as the T/cpl will cool.

There is a lot of debate about legality of running with propane open, and in some instances it is required that the tanks be closed like on ferries, tunnels, and when refueling to the best of my knowledge. I think the bigger concern especially in service stations when fueling is the ignition source firing rather than the propane tanks being open.

Either way your going to find folks on both side of this fence I'm sure. If your going a short distance, the fridge will keep things plenty cool if not running. Longer trips not so much.

RandyDeb

Good question! When I think about it, no good reason was given other than "well it's just not safe"! And do it that way for the rest of your life! Kind of funny now. It was from one of those guys that spends a lot of time wondering how the world ever got along without him, if you know what I mean....