Keeping pests out of the UDC

twilliams

Anyone have a good idea for keeping mice out of the round hole (the hose and cable chase) in the bottom of the UDC in a landmark 365?

mlpeloquin

For ants, Comment or Ajax. For hornets, fill the opening with foam that you can purchase at a hobby or sewing fabric store. Mice well you would have to use 1/4" screen purchased at a hardware store and use metal shears to custom cut to fit. A bit of weight on top and you should be secure. I have not had mice, but birds, ants, and hornets! Thankfully not all at once and at the same place.

EPaulikonis

I used high-density foam to make a plug with a hole in it to insert the hose and cable. I also use a plastic funnel that's been cut to fit around the hose just below the plug on the bottom of the UDC. You just cut the spout of the funnel to match the hose diameter and then slice the funnel mouth so you can open it up and put it on the hose. Mice can't reach around the funnel, so you just need to be sure you don't leave too much slop around the seam with the hose. I did the same with a funnel on the electrical cord as well.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Buy a foam knee pad used in gardening. Cut to fit the rectangular bottom of the UDC. With your water hose cable etc installed judge where they are in the access hole then cut a slit in the pad with a small cross slit at the point of hose etc entry. Slide the pad into the UDC around your hose etc. Tight dry warm!!!
Saw this on YouTube
3badb1b624ed8eb0b542b3c45710680b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DougS

Doug S
I use a rubber old fashion toilet plunger, the one that comes with a wooden dowel. I bought a brand new plunger, I cut the part out where the handle is screwed in, turn it upside down to cover the UDC access hole. Since I use quick connects which are larger then the hose, I added a second flat piece of rubber with a hole for the hose diameter and cut a slit in it to allow hose to be inserted. This is similar to the funnel method, just different materials.
I decided on this device after I found two tree frogs in the UDC.

wdk450

You can get the foam knee pads for gardening at the 99 cent stores. I cut out 2 - One with just a slit for satellite cable, and one with a water hose hole in the center and the slit that can do water hose and satellite cable.

twilliams

I ended up using the foam knee pad for gardening and cut a piece to fit the hole with a hole cut for the hose. Very tight seal. Seems to be a good solution!
Thanks for all the ideas!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bohemian

I have used an x-large heavy duty rubber glove. Ueed the big opening for the hand in the round hole held in place with a flange. Cut off as many finger tips as I needed for hoses and wires. Sealed hoses and wires with dduct tape. Air tight.

crussian

Morning all: maybe I'm missing something here. My Oakmont came with a plug for the 4 inch hole, its hard plastic with a handle. I only take it out when needed to run a hose. Are you talking about long term camping where the hole is exposed for days on end?

danemayer

Morning all: maybe I'm missing something here. My Oakmont came with a plug for the 4 inch hole, its hard plastic with a handle. I only take it out when needed to run a hose. Are you talking about long term camping where the hole is exposed for days on end?

Good question Cary.

In our case, we never worried too much about bugs or other pests. I'd just put the plug back in place when storing the rig. But during winter camping, the cold air coming through that large opening would lead to frozen connections in the UDC. So we needed a way to close the gap pretty tightly. I tried several approaches and settled on the garden kneeling pad which works well for us, even in extreme weather.

When we're at our site in the summer, for months, or at the North American Rally for 2 - 3 weeks, the pad keeps bugs, mice, and elephants:rolleyes: out of the coach. And it also works when the rig is stored in the back yard.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
crussian - that's exactly what folks are talking about. Mice, no matter where you are, like to find a warm, dry place to stay and will get into anything. I've even seen them run up jack legs, power cords and yes- water lines. If you are at a site overnight or for a month, if they want in, they will try. Squirrels are another problem.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Go to a Janitorial supply store and buy a buffer pad. Then you can cut out a circle 'plug' for the hole. Cut a slit to a small hole in the middle of the buffer pad for the garden hose. Works like a champ to keep bugs and critters out yet still be able to use the water and cable hooked up to the RV.