key pad door locks, will they fit cyclone?

Codive

Speaking of locks, what is the best way to go? Friend's has been broken into twice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti

Speaking of locks, what is the best way to go? Friend's has been broken into twice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personal opinion only - I just don't think a towable RV can be made secure enough to prevent a break-in. Deter one - sure. But not truly prevent one. A crow bar is all that is needed to pry the entrance door apart. Or break the window on the door and reach in*.

Some will change the locks on their storage doors so the common keys of others won't fit. And that is a monor deterrent. Here again, super easy to pop these doors open with a crow bar.

* Couple of related side notes...

1. Speaking to one Landmark / DRV dealer, they order most of their DRVs without a window in the door. The premise here is that if there's no window, it's more difficult to break into the RV with just an elbow. I think this is true. But not sure I'm ready to give up my window.

2. I may be leaving my truck at O'Hare airport this year. I plan to empty my storage cabinets and leave them unlocked. I don't want anyone breaking into them.

porthole

Retired
Anyone added the keypad door locks on the doors with a full window in it?

Yes, Chris on the forum did (OEFVET).
They do not fit without being cut. He picked up one to experiment after a broken key episode.
From his first attempt it looks doable, if you are OK with cutting a new $200 lock and have the ability to then finish off the cut end.

I'm sure he will post up here about it.
Or - better yet, contact RVLocks and let them know the lock does not fit on the newer trailers coming through with the big windows.

OEFVET

As Porthole stated, I did put one on but cutting the lock housing was necessary. It works great I just needed to cut back to the window and fill in the cutted edge with silicone. I will upload pictures in the future.

cdensomnia

As Porthole stated, I did put one on but cutting the lock housing was necessary. It works great I just needed to cut back to the window and fill in the cutted edge with silicone. I will upload pictures in the future.
Was it the lock from RV Lock or the Bauer lock with the keypad. Looks like the Bauer might be close to fitting because the keypad doesn't look to sit flush on the door.

OEFVET

attachment.php
attachment.php

I installed the RVlock (the first one pictured above.) The Bauer lock will be close but if modifications are necessary, I don't think it can be trimmed due to electrical components in right of housing.

Attachments

• RVlock.jpg
    RVlock.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 116
  • Bauer RVlock.jpg
    Bauer RVlock.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 110