King-Controls SL1000 digital signal meter- any good????

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
If you have a newer Heartland, the televisions have a OTA signal meter on the tv. It's in the menu function. My BH is not here right now for me to check the exact menu path to the signal meter. Hope this helps.

Rod Ditrich

Gizzy

We have one and feel it is worth it to find a strong signal BEFORE doing a channel scan on both TV's. I have it set up in the bedroom so I can see the signal while turning the antenna. Just be sure to turn the meter off as soon as you are done or else you will be buying new 9 volt batteries often. Don't ask me how I know.

FrankD1949

Yes, I agree the tv has a signal strength meter on the tv, but that is only for the point the antenna is at at that time. Any time you move the antenna you need to do a NEW signal strength again. These meters are suppose to tell you the best signal BEFORE you do a channel scan. My understanding is these meters cut out most of the chore of setting up the tv. The heartland I have is a newer one, 2013. Thanks for your response.

FrankD1949

Thanks for the tip, sounds as if the unit is a power hog. By any chance, does it have the ability to plug an external power source?

Frank

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Yes, I agree the tv has a signal strength meter on the tv, but that is only for the point the antenna is at at that time. Any time you move the antenna you need to do a NEW signal strength again. These meters are suppose to tell you the best signal BEFORE you do a channel scan. My understanding is these meters cut out most of the chore of setting up the tv. The heartland I have is a newer one, 2013. Thanks for your response.

Out here in the west (Colorado), finding TV stations with the antenna is a chore!

Especially since we go up in the mountains most of the time we use our trailer.

So I'm interested in finding a good signal meter as well.

By the by . . . I'm a born and raised Michiganderer . . . from Jackson (where the big prison is :rolleyes: )!

fdajnowicz

Out here in the west (Colorado), finding TV stations with the antenna is a chore!

Especially since we go up in the mountains most of the time we use our trailer.

So I'm interested in finding a good signal meter as well.

By the by . . . I'm a born and raised Michiganderer . . . from Jackson (where the big prison is :rolleyes: )!

Hi John,
The last trip of the season was to Hartwick Pines SP, around Grayling. With you being from Jackson, you would most likely know where that is. I think I screwed up the antenna dial rotating the antenna so much trying to fine tune the stations. Before next season, I will have one, but I don't want one that will be a waste of money.

I'm about 40 minutes east of Jackson, in Canton. Grew up in Detroit, and moved to Canton, MI over 30 years ago. Before they built a Menards in Livonia, we use to go to the Menards on Page Ave & 127. I lived in Colorado for about 6-8 months while I was stationed at Lowry AFB. Love the area, in the summer, in winter I would rather be a snow bird, but I just can't convince the DW that we need to get away from the snow. Frank

Greengas

My last 5'er came with one of those bat wing antenna's and it had a signal strength indicator right at the knob where you rotate the antenna. I was really surprised that Heartland is still using the older style antenna. I just purchased a signal strength indicator but have yet to use it (maybe in a week or two) but I'm confident that I will be replacing the old style antenna with a newer one in the spring. Oh, another advantage of the bat wing is that you don't have to worry about forgetting to crank it down.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Look for an App called TV Antenna Helper. It locates signals and give you all the station info and directions for aiming the antenna. And it's FREE!

fdajnowicz

Look for an App called TV Antenna Helper. It locates signals and give you all the station info and directions for aiming the antenna. And it's FREE!

I use a program called http://antennapoint.com, with a compass, but it doesn't do the fine tuning. The new digital signal requires a more precise pointing than the old analog signal did. The other problem is; you may be camped in a valley or you have a hill between you and the broadcast antenna. That is why The signal meter is needed. If you use the meter BEFORE you do a channel scan, you should have less dropout.

fdajnowicz

My last 5'er came with one of those bat wing antenna's and it had a signal strength indicator right at the knob where you rotate the antenna. I was really surprised that Heartland is still using the older style antenna. I just purchased a signal strength indicator but have yet to use it (maybe in a week or two) but I'm confident that I will be replacing the old style antenna with a newer one in the spring. Oh, another advantage of the bat wing is that you don't have to worry about forgetting to crank it down.

Ron, thanks for the suggestion. From all the ratings on antennas I have read, the bat wing or the added piece put on some of these RV antennas is nothing more than a cash grab. The base antenna that comes on the Heartland rigs have the same ratings. The only thing to improve signal is antenna HEIGHT and SIZE of the antenna. A homemade antenna made with a board and coat hangers will work just as well as these antennas. Digital signals need more precise pointing than analog ever did. Frank

fdajnowicz

must be called something else, cus I come up with 2 APPS under that search and they are 399

Thanks for the reply, the apps only work if you have nothing between you and the broadcast antenna or you aren't in a valley. Obstructions don't show up in these apps. That is why I'm looking for a good and reasonably priced signal meter.

fdajnowicz

I ended up buying the King Control SL1000. Used it all season and almost eliminated all the weak signal no picture events. I think it was worth the 30 bucks I spent on it.

Frank