King Pin Stabilizer or No?

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
Walking through the grounds here in Sycamore, IL before we take delivery of a Big Horn 3670, and we're seeing about 50/50 in the 5'ers that have those King Pin Stabilizers vs. those that don't.

Can't decide who to ask, those that have them or those that don't for their opinions.

What say you?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Walking through the grounds here in Sycamore, IL before we take delivery of a Big Horn 3670, and we're seeing about 50/50 in the 5'ers that have those King Pin Stabilizers vs. those that don't.

Can't decide who to ask, those that have them or those that don't for their opinions.

What say you?

The general consensus around here (with some exceptions) is that they aren't worth the cost or hassle. Many of us have opted for Ultra-Fab, Steadyfast, or similar stabilizer systems that attach to the frame and jacks. I have had the Ultra-Fab's on my rig since we first got it.

jbeletti

I agree with John. Used a tri-pod for the first couple years on the first 5th wheel. It was a hassle to store and it was heavy.

On the next 5th wheel, I got the JT Strong Arm stabilizers put on - excellent results. Now there are many brands - most of them pretty good.

That said, not sure what you ordered, but if you ordered your coach with 6-point hydraulic leveling, you won't need a kingpin stabilizer.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I had the aluminum version and it helped a little. I also used a good set of chocks between the tires and a set of scissors jacks in front of the tires to help eliminate some of the bounce. I replaced the tri pod with stabilizers as John mentioned and still use the chocks and scissors jacks. If your 3670 is coming with the Level Up system, you may not need to worry about any of it but Chocks are still a needed safety item.

dave10a

I don't have any stabilizers and do not notice any reason to have them. Also, I have the 6 point auto level jacks. With a strong frame and a good jack system the need for additional bracing seems not required. I had the same concern before I bought my trailer, but after living in it I found I don't need the stabilizers. So I guess it depends on how well the frame is built and the type of leveling jacks. My neighbor has a DRV, Mobile Suites, with a much heavier and more rigid frame than mine and they don't have a problem either.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Dave is absolutely correct. The earlier frames, while still strong, were full length straight I-Beams. 10" on 34ft and under and 12" over 34ft. The frames from 2008 and up were a drop frame front section and more rigid. The newer rigs with level up have even better support and 6 jacks/stabilizers.

billnsue

I use the tripod, not sure it does much good but since I installed the stackable washer/dryer it gives me a piece of mind having the extra support. Maybe someone can let me know if it's anything to worry about or not. I really don't like having it.

Willym

I use a home made bi-pod (lightweight, made from conduit) It helps to reduce the vibration from the washer, but it also is a handy spot to lean our bikes against, and stops me walking into the inbox (I now hit my noggin on the bedroom slide)

Westwind

I bought the aluminum tripod and when traveling I throw it into the bed of the truck and padlock it. When it's on the the front of the trailer I padlock it to the trailer pin hitch, while I know it's not a foolproof lock it could delay someone from back into the driveway and leaving with our trailer.
I think it might help a little with our washer/dryer, expecially in the spin cycle. I'll use it until I can't because it cost me money.

porthole

Retired
I use the tripod, not sure it does much good but since I installed the stackable washer/dryer it gives me a piece of mind having the extra support. Maybe someone can let me know if it's anything to worry about or not. I really don't like having it.

I wouldn't worry about it. As for piece of mind - well I don't know, but I have yet to see one of those spindly leg stabilizers that I would trust the weight of my trailer on it.

If you have a washer it will eliminate most of the vibrations during extract.

How? The jack as designed can only support vertical loads. A spinning dryer is exhibiting a load in rotation.

VideoGuy3

As stated it is a "Stabilizer" not a support. It is designed to remove vibrations and shacking especially when running a Front Load Washer (not a dryer) in the extract cycle or spin cycle. Before purchasing and installing a washer/dryer I check several other forums found that it was generally a recommended product. We found it to be the case in our Big Horn. We did run a load of clothes without it and the difference was enormous. If you don"t have a washer in your fifth wheel you probably won't have any idea what I'm talking about. I spent a part of my working career in the fabric care industry around washers from 5 lb. units to 250 pounders. All washer shake and vibrate especially front loaders. However, I agree that as a hitch pin lock, it is a bit of overkill.

Birchwood

If we are parked for a long period (in excess of 3 months )) I will probably install it as I think it does stabilize in the 20% area.
If I had to do it over again I would not of spent the $170 .We do enjoy it as a bicycle rack so its kind of dual purpose.

Sandie

We use ours as well and it is locked into position so it cannot be removed without a key...we also lock our bikes to it.

Westwind

I forgot to mention that we also lock our bikes to it, in one of the large campgrounds we stay at in Florida some kids appropriated our neighbors bikes one night. They were found in the residental area of the resort in a gully about 2 days later. It doesn't happy often in campgrounds but every so often some folks with questionable judgement do strange things in campgrounds.

Eddhuy

Had someone, who repairs RVs, tell me yesterday, that it was a good idea to use the stabilizer when not towing because it reduces the stress on the frame. I'm sure it does but I wonder if it actually is needed.

porthole

Retired
If that were the case, every 5th wheel sold would have them included. I would think the landing gear does an alright job of supporting the trailer. Most frame cracks seemed to have occurred when the trailer was supported by the pin box.

Dutch & Di

I think some of it depends on your layout and weight. We're large and heavy and we tried the Bi-Pod and then added aftermarket rear arm jacks. While they both helped some, there was too much movement for us so we installed our stabilizers. Now we are nice and solid and that makes Mama happy!! Hugs, Di

ps HAPPY LABOR DAY!!

bigdob24

I had the king pin jack and just sold it and went with the Steadyfast System and wish I would have found it 2 5ers ago.
Great results and easy to install .
Dan