Kitchen Island faucet supposed to turn?

TxCowboy

Just took delivery of a unit that has a kitchen island. Is the faucet on the kitchen island supposed to be somewhat loose? It rocks but was wondering if it is supposed to swivel left and right?

It has the detachable nozzle but I don't think it's supposed to move otherwise.

I think there's a jam nut under the counter to tighten this thing but I'm having difficulty seeing it and I know that I don't have a wrench that long and skinny to get into that small space.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Mine rotates left and right, but doesn't rock. Guess we would need to see a picture to see if it looks like it should rotate/swivel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjr6150

Just took delivery of a unit that has a kitchen island. Is the faucet on the kitchen island supposed to be somewhat loose? It rocks but was wondering if it is supposed to swivel left and right?

It has the detachable nozzle but I don't think it's supposed to move otherwise.

I think there's a jam nut under the counter to tighten this thing but I'm having difficulty seeing it and I know that I don't have a wrench that long and skinny to get into that small space.

Yes the spout should turn. To tighten one needs an item called a basin wrench any of the big box stores carry. Or if close to your dealer have them tighten it.

TxCowboy

Had a friend come by last night and he thinks he has the tool for this at home. Hopefully, it will do the job. This should have been fixed at the dealership but I'm not too worried about it.

Not sure whether it will need a basin wrench or a sink installer wrench. The space is pretty tight and there are three hoses surrounding this nut.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
What you need is one of these:

11a0e91e-638c-497f-af45-88dae65ca9b2_400.jpg

$12 bucks at Home Depot.

Here is a link: http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-Basin-Wrench-UWP0003D/204284872

I bought one of these years ago and it is one of the best things since individually wrapped cheese!

TxCowboy

JohnD, thanks for posting. It looks like one of those tools that you'll use once and never need again. But you'll always have one in case someone else needs to borrow it.

I wonder if my Camp Host has one? :)

JohnD

JohnD, thanks for posting. It looks like one of those tools that you'll use once and never need again. But you'll always have one in case someone else needs to borrow it.

Thats what I thought when I bought it, but I've found other uses for that wrench.

I've used working on cars for those tight spots you can't always reach with a regular wrench, plus I've replaced a few faucets over the years in the house, and it is nice to already have this wrench.

When I bought it, the package called it 'The Plumbers Friend' . . . I think I got it at Ace Hardware maybe 15 years ago.

TxCowboy

One of the guys in the RV park has this tool. It's too large to fit into the little space where the nut is located and it's one of the smallest basin wrenches made. I was able to finger tighten it a bit more so it's not an issue right now but I'll be back up there again in the future finger tightening it again.

MTPockets

One of the guys in the RV park has this tool. It's too large to fit into the little space where the nut is located and it's one of the smallest basin wrenches made. I was able to finger tighten it a bit more so it's not an issue right now but I'll be back up there again in the future finger tightening it again.
I installed a new faucet and wish I had John's wrench. I ended up using a long screwdriver. Placing the blade on the edge of the nut and a tap with a hammer I was able to get it tight. It took several taps but it worked.

JohnD

I installed a new faucet and wish I had John's wrench. I ended up using a long screwdriver. Placing the blade on the edge of the nut and a tap with a hammer I was able to get it tight. It took several taps but it worked.

I'll bring it to Central City if you'd like to put a little snug on that sink!

JohnD

I used that tool on both our old Trail Runner and the new Prowler when I replaced the bathroom faucet (and when I put the original faucet back in the Trail Runner before we traded it in).

I had plenty of room to reach up there to put the fittings on the bottoms of the faucet.

My next project with it . . . a new faucet for the Prowler kitchen

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I thought a "plumbers friend" was the wooden handle thing with rubber plunger on the end. Well ya learn something new every day.

TxCowboy

Hi, JohnD, yeah, the bathroom sink is easy. Plenty of room there. The kitchen faucet has the pull out sprayer so there's that and two water lines going into a round sleeve smaller than a beer can. (Hey, a beer can is a precision measuring device, right?)