Lack of dealer support and Heartland's inability/unwillingness to deal with it

kowAlski631

Martha, heres the deal. HL will not send parts to anyone withour pics to prove whats wrong. That is stated in the warrenty. That would be like me calling a dealer and telling my engine went bad and send me a new one. Even Steve understands that that wont happen...EVER. You take the vehicle to the dealer, they inspect it and fix as needed. Thats the dealer responsibilty or the owner having the problem can do it they wish to. Steve, comparing Chevy dealers to RV dealer is "oranges and apples". That leverage does not exit. It has happened to a dealer here in Socal....but. I have not heard of many.

I have worked directly with many auto dealers over the past 25 years & understand the warranty process totally. However, I also know that if a dealer in the automotive world does not respond to warranty issues, the consumer may go to another dealer. I understand that it is different in the RV world where there are multiple manufacturers represented under one roof (so to speak) rather than a single point product, so it may be difficult for the consumer to ascertain to whom questions or repairs for items which may be warranty issues may be addressed.

However, if one is having continual issues with one RV dealer, then the RV owner's concerns should be escalated. In a later post, it is indicated that despite all the concerns, there has been no request to HL for an alternative source to repair the issues and that the RV owner is giving the RV dealer who has apparently been the focal point of his issues another chance to make all right.

That's why I am confused.

Martha

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
You could really relate your RV and it components to your home rather than you motor vehicle. Your home has various systems as does your RV, i.e. a plumbing system, air conditioning system, heating system, electrical system, refrigeration system etc. Each of these systems have different manufacturers. Even the structural system is composed different manufacturers. The Brand manufacturer (in this case Heartland RV) is the end of the line where all of these different components are assembled, much like the contractor and sub-contractors who built you home. Now if you have a problem with any of the components in your home during the original warranty you contact the builder and they will send out a repair person responsible for repair of that component for example: a Refrigerator repair company to repair the Refriderator, or a carpet person to repair the carpet, etc. Now, when it comes to the RV you take it to the repair facility but they would be a warranty outllet for Dometic to fix the Dometic Air-Conditioner or Dometic Refrigerator and would be paid by Dometic for the warranty repair. Or they might call a Lippert repairman to repair the Lippert frame, or might even do the repair to the plumbing system themselves and be paid by the manufacturer. So what the RV would be is a hybrid of the motor vehicle and home. Get kind of confusing but that is how it is.

On the other hand it is my observation that some people on this Forum use it to vent and express their frustration and may later find it really didn't prove anything except to make them feel better by getting the opportunity to express this frustration. Remember there are two sides to every story and in this case you cannot blame Heartland for not supporting you if you haven't even contacted them. BTW if anyone has a right to gripe (pm me if you want the long story) we have earned it but have found you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Happy Camping...

danemayer

there has been no request to HL for an alternative source to repair the issues
The OP said he did contact Heartland and they discussed his taking it to another dealer in the area but he has opted to let the selling dealer take a third turn at bat.

The auto industry and the RV industry obviously handle warranty completely differently. They also must have very different dealer agreements between manufacturer and dealership.

A lot of people seem to assume that if Heartland or any other manufacturer wanted to, they could simply require RV dealers to provide warranty service on any Heartland unit. Some dealers obviously wouldn't want to accept this business model. Why? Because they would lose high-profit-margin sales to remote dealers offering steep discounts.

When I was shopping locally, I was warned by the local dealer that if I didn't buy from them, they would not want my service business. They were using warranty service as a lever to get me to pay more than I had to pay a remote dealer. I don't think that dealer (actually a chain), would want a new dealer agreement that required them to provide me with warranty service.

Would the dealer accept a new agreement? Maybe. Or maybe they'd just sell another manufacturer's RVs. It's not the auto industry.

kowAlski631

Agreed, and I admit I did miss the post where another dealer's service was offered. Perhaps I am using my "rule of thumb" too excess. I give someone 2 tries to make it right, then I move onto another solution set. Impatient, yep I am (ask DH about that), but I really expect that when someone is getting paid - by whom is neither here nor there - to do a job they've agreed to complete, then they should do that. JMHO

Martha

dave10a

so far I have been able to repair all warranty issues myself with Heartlands help by sending me parts when needed. All you need is a good tool box and a sense of humor. I wander if Heartland could pay me for my labor:) By doing it my self save me a lot of diesel fuel by not traveling to a dealer not to mention the anguish when they do do sloppy or incompetent work.

StevieWonder

I can do it, but I want the dealer to do it. That way if there is a repeat problem, I'm not going to get blamed for not doing it right.
Besides, warranty service is included in the price. If I'm going to be doing the warranty work, I want a purchasing discount on the price of the trailer to reflect that.

StevieWonder

All of the parts finally showed up, so I took the BigHorn in today to get the LONG list of warranty work done including fiberglass repair on the shower floor around the drain area. So now I will wait and find out how the work is done. BTW, $125/hr is the posted labor rate at the dealer !!! I don't pay that for my cars which are a lot more technical and require a lot more specialized equipment. Crazy money.

jfrench

StevieWonder I am sorry to hear about the problems you have been dealing with and if I can help please give me a call. We have stated to turn away work to make sure we can take of our customers that have purchase from us in a timely matter but if you need us I will do my best to see if I can fit you in and take great care of you. danemayer Thank you for the kind words. I guess I need to log on more :)

jgilbert

All of the parts finally showed up, so I took the BigHorn in today to get the LONG list of warranty work done including fiberglass repair on the shower floor around the drain area. So now I will wait and find out how the work is done. BTW, $125/hr is the posted labor rate at the dealer !!! I don't pay that for my cars which are a lot more technical and require a lot more specialized equipment. Crazy money.

It is now 7 weeks later, Stevie. How did the repairs turn out?

Joe

scottyb

I just went through a similar deal, but it was dealer incompetence instead of lack of support. I called HL and they immediately shipped the necessary parts, for which I installed today. They also gave a little kick in the behind to the dealer to solve a couple other outstanding non-critical issues as well. I couldn't have asked for more from HL customer service.