Landing Gear - failed for the second time in 3 years. looking for options

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Good Morning,

At the National Rally this year, I had some issues with the Landing Gear on my Rig ( 2010 - Cyclone 3010 ) where I blew a fuse and when I bypassed that I noticed that the gear, although working ( kind of ) was very sick. On the way home I had to drop my trailer when my truck had a mechanical issue and needed to go into the shop. When I atempted to lower the Gear - the lead leg ( motor side ) would not move. I have started the removal of this leg and was told that I needed to replace the entire leg ( but I have since found that there is a rebuild kit )

What I would like to know is the following, has anyone done this repair ( rebuild ) to the lead leg? How hard was it?

Has anyone replaced the electric landing gear with hydraulic Legs. It looks like Lippert makes a bolt in replacement for the Electric version. How Hard was this upgrade and are you happy with it? Would you do it again? how long have you had it installed? Any issues with the install or over time?

Thanks for your input.

Working on getting the repair kit today - and thinking of replacing with hydraulic later - ( when it breaks again - because we all know it will )

Kevin

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Converting from electric jacks to hydraulic may require also adding to or upgrading your pumping system. Have you looked at the electric Ground Control system, yet? Lippert bought it from Reico-Titan a while back. That's something you could easily install yourself. I do believe they've come out with an automatic system "brain" for it to auto-level, etc. I installed the original Reico-Titan Ground Control system a couple of years ago.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I replaced the kit on our old Sundance. It was easy. But, if I had to do it over, I would probably go the Ground Control route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lance & Jo

Ii had the same problem with our trailer and found another option (and cheaper than hydraulic conversion) was to add a second electric motor to the off side. I got the idea from posts here on the forum and you should be able to find the old threads about it. The fix has been working for a couple years now with no problems. Picture shows how the second switch is mounted.3. New Landing Gear Switch.JPG

recumbent615

John, I agree, but I think that Lippert also has a autonomous system with it's own motor and pump that can also be overridden manually if needed. I have not looked at the Ground Control - I will.

Lance, I thought about that solution but that also has the same motor and gear issues although I do understand that the motor is now only having to do 1/2 of the work it was with the single motor setup. I assume you needed to order a second Motor and a different leg to make that mod. do you still have a manual over ride on the landing gear. also did you need to install a second gear box or did you go without a gear box.
( I guess I will have to go look for that thread )

Kevin

JohnDar

As far as a manual override, I'm not sure about hydraulic systems. I know there is a manual drive for the pump, but if that's not the problem, you're up a creek without a jack. With the GC electric system, each motor can be driven manually via a hex fitting on the top. Push comes to shove, the motors can be interchanged between jacks, should one fail.

Why do I continue to extoll the Ground Control system? At the time, it was much less expensive than the Level-Up. I didn't have to drag the rig to a Lippert facility since it could be shipped to me. At the time, there were (still are) a lot of complaints about Level-Up. The install was relatively simple. And I had a pretty good tutorial from another owner that did it. Auto-level doesn't mean much to me.

Gary521

The problem with your landing leg is the jack screw that is binding from lack of lubrication. The rebuild kit will not solve this problem. Adding a second motor will help but it will not solve the lube issue. I would go with the Ground Contol -you will love it. There is a YouTube video on installation from the guy that developed it.

recumbent615

The problem with your landing leg is the jack screw that is binding from lack of lubrication. The rebuild kit will not solve this problem. Adding a second motor will help but it will not solve the lube issue. I would go with the Ground Contol -you will love it. There is a YouTube video on installation from the guy that developed it.

Gary,

I would go for the Ground Control, but the price makes it a no go I guess. I called Lippert and they informed me that they do not sell only the front legs to the ground control so it is 4 or 6 or nothing from them. so the parts are on order and the jack is out of the rig - now to figure out how it all comes apart ( and goes back together ) i talked to Lippert Technical support to get instruction - screen door on a sub comes to mind... I've been searching the internet with limited results. I do not want to break anything that I need when I put the rebuild kit in. I have not figured out how to get the main shaft gear out to be replaced. the teeth are all torn up on both gears so I need to get that one out.

off to the inter-web for more searching.

Kevin

JohnDar

Kevin,
Here's my files on the Venture electric jacks, maybe it'll help. In the Lippert sheet, they show the mysterious 30A inline fuse holder. I removed all of the OEM wiring when I installed the Ground Control set and never found it.

caissiel

The landing gears need modification. The jack gear is allowed to float and should be held on center.
The pinion climbs on the gear and turns hard and blown fuses result.
Adding an other motor just causes more wear and results in failure.
The center plate should be held or clamp at assembly like I have seen SOB units.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0151 using Tapatalk

Lance & Jo

Kevin you're correct in thinking the fix requires a new leg, motor, switch and gear box and all actually comes in kit from the manufacturer. Unfortunately any part info I have is in the trailer and it is currently in the hospital getting a new roof (hail damage). Yes you do have manual override but it requires moving from side to side. PM me if you would like to talk about this, I can tell you what I had to do and walk through rebuilding the legs.

wdk450

You know I had a lot of difficulty with my landing gear legs, especially after one sheared the telescoping pin while having tires serviced by an on-site repair truck (I didn't know them that you should NEVER jack a wheel off the ground when you are on landing gear - You should be hitched up with the front weight sitting on the 5th wheel hitch). I finally completely disassembled the landing gear and found that the thrust bearing on top that bears all the weight (not included in repair kits) was seized up. I was able to get a new one through measurements and an internet search. It has been much better since.

On edit: I also put stainless steel hose clamps around the top plate protrusions to keep it centered.

Last edited:

JohnDar

I just looked at the Mobile Outfitters site for the Ground Control systems. Not the same as what they originally were. Even the motors look like the same crap they put on the rear stabilizers. No thanks, glad I got it while the getting was good.

recumbent615

well my repair kit arrived today from Amazon and the repair was made. I did talk to Venture Mfg. Co. about the issues I have had and they did suggest that the system in place was not really designed for as much weight as we have on my unit with a Generator. They did suggest that a dual motor system would make things more reliable overall. They sell a conversion kit for $350 that includes a complete replacement for the "follow" leg that includes all the parts from a second switch to the gears, motor and complete leg.

I also noticed that the bushings on my leg were installed backwards with flange on the outside of the leg. where as the diagrams and instructions from the mfg all show the flange was on the inside of the leg... I wonder if this was the cause of the repeat failure ... the Tech I spoke to said that would allow for an extra 3/8 inch of play in the gears that would be enough to allow the gears to separate and strip out ( exactly what I had as an issue ). I did put the new bushings in with the flanges in the correct position and everything is really tight with little/no play in the mech. I hope this holds for a few years. and If I have an issue with the follow leg I will plan to replace it with a second motorized leg.

Amazing how much you miss the ability to just get in your truck and drive somewhere - since it was the only support my trailer has had for the last 3 days... now to put the basement back together.

Also as a result of my conversations with the folks at Venture Mfg. Co. they sent me every technical document for their landing gear, some of them we already had in our "manuals" section but all of the ones that we did not have were uploaded today ... more reference documents ( including a step by step - rebuild document for the legs )

Thanks for all of your input and suggestions, as always that is the best part of being part of a "community" of caring, helpful campers!!!

Kevin

Gary521

Drill a couple holes in the outer leg so that you can get grease to the jack screw.

You can still get original Ground Control. Just not from Lippert.

oldmannj

Drill a couple holes in the outer leg so that you can get grease to the jack screw.

You can still get original Ground Control. Just not from Lippert.

OK, So now I have a question. Where in the outer tube would you drill this hole? and would it be beneficial to tap it for a zerk fitting?? I figure if the hole is high enough in the tube to install a fitting it would be a better delivery system for the grease. Please excuse my ignorance as I just switched over to a 5'er from a TT. ED.:angel:

Gary521

A grease fitting does not work here. Get a grease needle that fits the end of the grease gun. This will put t grease right on the jack screw. You need to raise the jacks so that the inner leg clears the drilled holes.

recumbent615

I'm back with more questions. It would seem that my rebuild of the Lead Leg, although technically resolved the issue I was having, my landing gear is still less than great. I have been looking at other electric alternatives and found a product by Bull Dog for RVs and wanted to know if anyone has used these on their rig? Bull Dog has been around for a long time and stated out with Tractor Trailer Landing Gear. I will be calling the company on Monday to ask some questions, one of the issues I believe we have with the Lippert solution is the planetary Gear and the inability to Grease the screw. I know that the landing Gear on Tractors have grease fittings. I would like to know how these legs are lubricated and if the gearing is direct or does it used planetary. Planetary is not "bad" but direct would be better, I think..

so any Bull Dog users out there? they have a 5 year Warranty but it doesn't seem to cover much -

jimpav

Join the crowd.......the landing gear fuse (30amp) blew on my new Gateway as we tried to leave the dealership! A call to Heartland tech advised the service tech to replace the 30 amp fuse with a 40 amp fuse. The legs were checked for any binding or excessive current draw. Everything checked out fine which leads me to believe it's an engineered deficiency.This is not a cure in my book. The electric jacks seem quite anemic when trying to lift the trailer, almost like they are too weak. (yes I had a full battery charge also).

I found another electric system from Lippert called "Blackjack". This system uses electric jacks with an included hydraulic pump on each of the two landing legs. I can't find out any cost of the unit, biut it seems a logical, albeit $$$$ replacement for an inadequate calculation by Heartland engineers. Perhaps there can be a rally discount for all us electric only landing gear owners at the 2015 national rally?????
PS I had the Rico Titan Ground Control on my last unit(self installed). The only thing that I didn't like was the low position of the real pads. Otherwise, they had plenty of power all the time.