Landing Gear Switch Recommendations?

ATM

We pulled out of the backcountry on the weekend and the front of the trailer was exposed to a lot of wet snow/mud/water. We found that when we arrived home we could not get the front gear down. Last night after the trailer has sat and dried out for a few days the gear is working properly again. I suspect just by looking at the switch without pulling it apart, is not all that weatherproof. Does anyone have any recommendations for a replacement that is?

Last edited by a moderator:

ATM

Has any tried installing a cover like this over the switch?

Attachments

• 323a1ad1-d8b0-4c48-99a3-422e1cc21fde_145.jpg
    323a1ad1-d8b0-4c48-99a3-422e1cc21fde_145.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 42

wdk450

Doing a websearch on "Waterproof 50 amp DPDT momentary rocker switch" , I came across some vinyl covers for rocker switches that you could add to your existing switch. As another option, you should be able to easily move the switch to just inside the front compartment, out of the water spray.

ncc1701e

Lost two switches to weather basically. Bought a cover at Lowe's and have had no problems in the last three years. Pulled through a good bit of rain since. Do not know why Heartland refuses to correct this issue. Pointed the problem out to Heartland at National Rally a few years back. Might as well been talking to a wall.

wdk450

Lost two switches to weather basically. Bought a cover at Lowe's and have had no problems in the last three years. Pulled through a good bit of rain since. Do not know why Heartland refuses to correct this issue. Pointed the problem out to Heartland at National Rally a few years back. Might as well been talking to a wall.

I don't understand this whole topic. My older Bighorn has a recessed box with the switch in it, and a locking cover over that switch. When did they decide this wasn't needed???
landing gear switch box.jpg

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I don't understand this whole topic. My older Bighorn has a recessed box with the switch in it, and a locking cover over that switch. When did they decide this wasn't needed???
View attachment 47822

My 2015 Prowler has the switch just under the outside light next to the front basement door.

It is external, although I believe it has a rubber boot around the workings of the switch.

I'm at the tire shop getting new tires on my truck, but when I get home I'll check it out and take a photo of it.

I have an 2011 grey Big Country & had the same problem. Contacted Heartland parts & purchased the enclosed box. My front aluminum frame was already boxed & ready for easy install

wdk450

I wish that they still did that... Is that a aftermarket cover you picked up?

This box and cover is a representation of what is on my, and many other Heartland 5th wheel RVs, previously built. I got the image off of Google images early this morning, but have been unable to find that image again. I suspect it was made by JR Products, since the only thing like that I could find on the internet is a new version from JR Products. I have a listing from their website, but I have been unable to find any online vendors of this part number on the internet. You might call JR Products at 800-269-7622 to see where to get this part.

Here is a link to the part. The white one is JR part # 05-11985 : http://jrproducts.net/index.php/cat...al/Mom-On/Off/Mom-On Switches/?ccm_paging_p=3
(There is also a black one).

You also might try obtaining the item from the right side of this page: http://www.go-rv.com/coast/do/catalog/page?dealerId=1883&pageNum=246