Landing gear will not come down

RandyDeb

Just got my BH out of storage and noticed some small damage to the strap that holds the front cap in place. Not real bad, but not happy about it. Damage is on the right side. Then when I went to unhook at home the left landing gear went down like it should have, but the right side did not move. Ran the left side back up and down again, but nothing. So I went in the front storage compartment trying to figure out what was going on with my wife running the gear up and down. She ran it all the way up and instead of the normal slowing of the motor when it got to the top, it popped real load and then the load dropped off the motor. Are there role pins or shear pins in the tubing that may have broken? I can see in the top of the right side and it looks like the gear is jumping out of place. Is that gear held in with a setscrew or I'm I going to spend the next few nights pulling the landing gear apart? The guy that owns the storage building stopped by and looked at the damage, but didn't have any idea of how it got that way. He did offer his shop up for a place to work on the landing gear if I needed it, so what can you say... Any chance that the force from a sideway hit could mess up the landing gear?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Randy
What year BH do you have ?
I assume they are Electric jacks.
Do you have 1 motor for both legs or 1 motor on each leg ?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

RandyDeb

It's an 09 3670 with 1 motor and a square 1" tube for a shaft running across to the left side. Motor is mounted on the right side.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
There is a sheer pin in the shaft that connects the two legs. This probably broke.

On mine, it was more like a small bolt and nut. I changed them out for the 4-jack electric Ground Control system a few years ago.
Here are the Venture Mfg. manuals for the OEM jacks.

Attachments

• Venture Landing Gear Manual.pdf
    276 KB · Views: 8
  • Venture Landing Gear Owners Manual.pdf
    53.8 KB · Views: 5

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Did the legs go up fine when you picked it up ?
Are you thinking the your RV was hit in storage. If so you might have a bent leg. That would cause the motor and gearbox to give out. Is it the leg with the motor on it that not working or is it the other side ?
I think you motor assembly is on the curb side correct ?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mbesanceney

New York Chapter Leaders-Retired
Just got my BH out of storage and noticed some small damage to the strap that holds the front cap in place. Not real bad, but not happy about it. Damage is on the right side. Then when I went to unhook at home the left landing gear went down like it should have, but the right side did not move. Ran the left side back up and down again, but nothing. So I went in the front storage compartment trying to figure out what was going on with my wife running the gear up and down. She ran it all the way up and instead of the normal slowing of the motor when it got to the top, it popped real load and then the load dropped off the motor. Are there role pins or shear pins in the tubing that may have broken? I can see in the top of the right side and it looks like the gear is jumping out of place. Is that gear held in with a setscrew or I'm I going to spend the next few nights pulling the landing gear apart? The guy that owns the storage building stopped by and looked at the damage, but didn't have any idea of how it got that way. He did offer his shop up for a place to work on the landing gear if I needed it, so what can you say... Any chance that the force from a sideway hit could mess up the landing gear?

I had the same problem about 2 years ago on the door side the stupid nut and bolt popped out so I went to the hardware store and got a longer bolt same thread size but the only difference was I added a stop nut and I haven had a problem since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RandyDeb

Well, long story. It looks like not only did the trim that seals the front cap on get hit, but all indications are that the trailer was dropped while being moved. The threaded rod that is attached to the foot is still straight. But where that rod passes through a cross piece and the round pin sets that holds the gear in place is bent to the point that the gears would not engage each other! Pulled both legs out and put them in a press to try and push them back into place, but no good! Could maybe get them back, but wouldn't trust it to last. So I ordered both legs and the gear box. Kind of sick about it! It was stored inside and this should never of happened, and of course no one knows how it got damaged. I paid $560.00 storage fee from Nov 1 through April 30. The real hard part is the owner is the son of a friend. He did say he would make it right, so we will see.

I think I need to look real hard for any other damage that may have resulted. Anything specific I should look at or for?

RandyDeb

I wasn't there when it was put inside last fall and it was moved out the other day without me being there. The gear was not fixable. So I ordered new legs, gearbox and installed last night in less than an hour. Still no explanation on how it got that way. Because of how it was damage, I'm thinking the legs were dragged on the ground while the trailer was moving backward. rather than being dropped.

Last edited:

BusManRG

Who moved it and why is my question????

Since he mentioned a "storage building", I'm thinking it's one of those locations that store trailers and boats where the units are parked by workers using a motorized tractor. I believe you have to let them know in advance when you want your rig and they pull it out for you. Similar to the way rv lots cram units in for display or at a show. I've never seen one personally, just on tv. I've even seen pictures of multi-level storage facilities.