Landing switch ?? or something else?

aatauses

Hello,
We have a 2010 Bighorn that has front electric landing. When we pulled into our site, I got nothing from the switch when wanting to raise the unit. I then pushed the 'rocker' the other way for a second and then back the other way and it started working normally----so do I need a new switch or is there something else going on?
Appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks,
al

Fox

My uneducated guess is ... switches are (relatively) cheap, I'd go for it.
One other question ... when you attempted this was it on battery power or shore power?

RoadJunkie

I would think that, since the switch is now working, an effort to test the disconnected switch would indicate the switch is good; It sounds like it could be intermittent. I agree that switches are fairly inexpensive and would probably swap it out. But, keep an eye on the auto-reset breaker that is located in the front storage compartment. This may take a few tries to figure out the problem.

Fox

Thanks---we were on battery power (still hooked up to the truck).

Powered jacks (and slides) are very power hungry; I always use shore power for those functions, just in case my batteries are weak.
Still, try another switch, its cheap.

aatauses

Re: Landing switch ?? or something else?---more help needed

Ok--took everyone's advice and ordered a switch from HL----need some more help--if the switch does not arrive before I need the jacks--what is the safest way to "hot wire"---I have 4 wires coming into the switch---black, white, red, orange??? I would think?? just jumping terminals at the switch????
thanks,
al

danemayer

Re: Landing switch ?? or something else?---more help needed

Ok--took everyone's advice and ordered a switch from HL----need some more help--if the switch does not arrive before I need the jacks--what is the safest way to "hot wire"---I have 4 wires coming into the switch---black, white, red, orange??? I would think?? just jumping terminals at the switch????
thanks,
al
If you have separate stabilizers, you could swap switches temporarily. Before doing anything else, use your camera to take a clear picture of the wiring on each switch so you know how to get things back together.

RoadJunkie

The DC motor works by reversing the polarity to the motor leads. Using your voltmeter find 12Vdc, probably the red and black wires. Connection to the remaining two wires will determine which direction the motor will turn. In this case, red to orange and black to white will run the motor in one direction, while red to white and black to orange will run in the opposite direction; Assuming red and black are 12 Vdc. Be careful, there is a huge amount of energy stored in batteries!

Disclaimer: execute the above process at your own risk!

aatauses

I have done same additional checking on wires---before the switch, the white wire actually has a black pigtail connecting to the switch meaning at the switch connections I have 2 black wires, one orange and one red. So knowing this ---what would be the safest way to "hot wire" if my new switch does not show up before I need to use the jacks?
I only have one switch that controls both sides so switching switches is not an option.
thanks
al

danemayer

I have done same additional checking on wires---before the switch, the white wire actually has a black pigtail connecting to the switch meaning at the switch connections I have 2 black wires, one orange and one red. So knowing this ---what would be the safest way to "hot wire" if my new switch does not show up before I need to use the jacks?
I only have one switch that controls both sides so switching switches is not an option.
thanks
al

The color coding doesn't necessarily mean anything. The only use it has is so you can get the wires to the same locations on the new switch.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

The color coding doesn't necessarily mean anything. The only use it has is so you can get the wires to the same locations on the new switch.

This might help

DC-motor-reversing-switch-schematic-wiring-diagram-285x275.jpg

So jumping #1 would go one way and jumping #2 would go the other way...

Up or down.

a85394152f005ad1ae48ad402cc915a8.jpg

Hope this helps

Jerrod

wdk450

Your problem is most likely a bad switch - when a switch has corroded contacts, working the switch will provide a small rubbing effect on the contact surfaces, possibly burnishing the contact surfaces, and possibly getting the switch to work a little. This burnishing try is best done with the power disconnected.

You might think about this experience and have a 2nd switch on hand with your spare parts in case this ever happens again.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
So knowing this ---what would be the safest way to "hot wire" if my new switch does not show up before I need to use the jacks?

Do you not have a local source for that switch?

I'll bet Camping World carries that switch...

WillyBill

If your landing gear is electric over hydraulic, a lot of the units have a backup switch mounted on the pump/bracket. You might look there first. If it works, the problem is your switch. If problem is still present, then it will be a worn breaker or battery power or connections. Just backtrack the wiring bringing main power to the pump.

Good Luck!!!

WB

aatauses

Closure--Thanks everyone--the switch arrived from HL and installed per your instructions--everything is now working fine
al--currently in AZ