Landmark Charleston tanks and sewer outlet positioning

1goofyguy

Hi, my wife and I are full timers and have been in the market for a new 5th wheel for the past 18 months. We envelopes went to the Pomona RV show in October to see the widest variety of new rigs. We have pretty well narrowed our search and the Landmark Charleston is at the top of a very short list. But I keep seeing a lot of Landmarks with the sewer outlet being very lengthy from under the drop frame and having very minimal ground clearance. With such exposure, it is fodder for errant blown tire debris to really mess up ones travel day, or simple getting in and out of some of our more challenging RV spots. I have also noticed many of this same lengthy outlets (8+ feet) with slope issues (ie - the slope is not maintained and leaves a dip in the line).

I have asked several dealers (5+) about this, but they all seem surprised, yet almost every dealer has a Landmark on the lot with this concern. We really like the Charleston but are holding off on a purchase because of that issue. I was hoping a factory resource might be able to share the tank / sewer design or what is in the works that might remediate this concern. It would seem that coming out through the rear section of the drop frame vs dropping out through the bottom of the frame would really provide much greater ground clearance and protection for the exposed sewer outlet, but don’t know the positioning of the tanks. Just doing a lot of guessing 😊

I look forward to speaking with someone someone on this, and hopefully finding a resolution that will allow us to purchase a new Landmark.

Thank you for your consideration.

danemayer

Hi, my wife and I are full timers and have been in the market for a new 5th wheel for the past 18 months. We envelopes went to the Pomona RV show in October to see the widest variety of new rigs. We have pretty well narrowed our search and the Landmark Charleston is at the top of a very short list. But I keep seeing a lot of Landmarks with the sewer outlet being very lengthy from under the drop frame and having very minimal ground clearance. With such exposure, it is fodder for errant blown tire debris to really mess up ones travel day, or simple getting in and out of some of our more challenging RV spots. I have also noticed many of this same lengthy outlets (8+ feet) with slope issues (ie - the slope is not maintained and leaves a dip in the line).

I have asked several dealers (5+) about this, but they all seem surprised, yet almost every dealer has a Landmark on the lot with this concern. We really like the Charleston but are holding off on a purchase because of that issue. I was hoping a factory resource might be able to share the tank / sewer design or what is in the works that might remediate this concern. It would seem that coming out through the rear section of the drop frame vs dropping out through the bottom of the frame would really provide much greater ground clearance and protection for the exposed sewer outlet, but don’t know the positioning of the tanks. Just doing a lot of guessing 😊

I look forward to speaking with someone someone on this, and hopefully finding a resolution that will allow us to purchase a new Landmark.

Thank you for your consideration.

Hi 1goofyguy,

In 7 years of reading most posts on this forum, although a couple of people have raised questions about the positioning of the sewer outlets, I don't recall a single post about damage.

If you're towing over obstacles that could damage the sewer outlet, consider that the tires are not going to do well going over the obstacles that don't rise to the level of the sewer outlet.

In any event, if you want to exchange ideas with someone at Heartland, a better choice would be to call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Ask for Landmark sales.