Landmark Disc Brakes w/ Upgraded Axles

EPaulikonis

I'm awaiting delivery of a 2015 Savannah and have been spending a lot of time looking at the forums. I recently found one concerning the optional upgrade to disc brakes w/upgraded axle. The person who posted the entry also purchased the upgrade for disk brakes w/upgraded axle, but said the axles were still 7,000lb. versions. This concerns me greatly, not because of the weight, but because of the cost of the option.

What exactly am I paying for to get this option? I expected to get the disc brakes w/EZ lube 8,000lb. Dexter axles in the package. All the literature I'd seen and talking with dealers and representatives at the various RV shows led me to believe this is what I was paying for in the upgrade.

I also just attended a factory tour last week. Andy was great, especially since he's so new to the company. Appreciated his efforts to track down our coach to find it had just been sent off to paint. Thanks Andy!

Any and all information you can share on the brake/axle upgrade option is appreciated. I look forward to your call.

danemayer

Re: ATF: Landmark - Disc Brakes w/ Upgraded Axles

Hi EPaulikonis,

There was a recent post where Heartland removed a different feature from the build plan, and the owner found the price was adjusted down to reflect that change. Of course you're negotiating price with the dealer, not directly with Heartland. I'd expect the dealer to make an adjustment if their wholesale price has decreased.

For reference, an upgraded axle (6K - 7K) on the Bighorn has a list price of $464. If you negotiated a 20% discount from the trailer list price, then perhaps the dealer will reduce your price by 80% of the $464, or about $371, which would be about how much would have been included in your price. But it's a dealer negotiation based on the premise that the wholesale price was reduced to reflect the change.

You might call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030 and ask for the Landmark General Manager to find out if the price to the dealer is being adjusted down.

EPaulikonis

Thank you for the information. Calling the GM now.

Hi EPaulikonis,

There was a recent post where Heartland removed a different feature from the build plan, and the owner found the price was adjusted down to reflect that change. Of course you're negotiating price with the dealer, not directly with Heartland. I'd expect the dealer to make an adjustment if their wholesale price has decreased.

For reference, an upgraded axle (6K - 7K) on the Bighorn has a list price of $464. If you negotiated a 20% discount from the trailer list price, then perhaps the dealer will reduce your price by 80% of the $464, or about $371, which would be about how much would have been included in your price. But it's a dealer negotiation based on the premise that the wholesale price was reduced to reflect the change.

You might call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030 and ask for the Landmark General Manager to find out if the price to the dealer is being adjusted down.

porthole

Retired

Hi EPaulikonis,

You cannot trust any vehicle dealer to automatically give you a reduction of price unless it is clearly stated on a factory window sticker.

You have to ask and be persistent.

Hunter11

Eric, I was probably the one that made that post. I like you was told and under the impression that the "disc brakes w/Upgraded axles" would get me the disc brakes and go from 7k axles to 8k. I was wrong. And the MSRP is still at $3520 for this option. I called Heartland yesterday about some warranty issues and asked about this option and the person said he would call me back which he did. He said he had talked to the sales dept. and the plant manager and all you get in this package now is disc brakes. Had I know this before ordering I would have passed and used that money for the Mor/Ryde IS suspension and disc brakes. I would love to hear what you find out from the GM on why you do not get upgraded axles in this option package although it is advertised you do.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Eric, I'm sure that the price also reflects the labor to install the kit. You can buy the kit and install it yourself. I "think" it's about $1500 or maybe cheaper. It does take some time and effort to do. One thing I did read on the forum was...that some truck factory installed brake controllers wont work with it. I "think" that is was Fords and maybe GM....not sure. Do some research on that. Don't know about Dodge.

BTW, if your truck wont work. You can install a Prodigy brake controller. With disc brakes the settings will be alot lower than drum brakes.

jnbhobe

Ford will work. Dodge and Chevy won't

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Hunter11

Bob is correct as far as the newer GM trucks are concerned and the built in brake controller working with the disc brake option. I had to have the dealer install a Carlisle HBA-CAM in the trailers front storage compartment for the brakes to work with my truck.

Hunter11

I spoke to someone "in the know" at Heartland about this DB/Upgraded Axles option and here is what I was told. The option is upgraded axles but it doesn't mean 8k. They use a different axle than the standard 7k because it is required with the disc brakes so it is upgraded over the standard but still rated at 7k. I guess part of my issue with this was my own fault for making the assumption that the Bighorn has the option of 7k to 8k axles on the "special builds" sheet so I figure the same would hold true for the Landmark. I never cared about adding any GVWR with the 8k axles I just wanted the heaviest ones I could get on our unit. I guess if our Landmark holds up well over the next year or two we will look at having Mor/Ryde install the IS with 8k axles and swap our disc brakes over to the new equipment.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired

Jnbhobe - We didn't have any problem with our new 2014 Ram 3500 factory installed brake controller with the new disc brakes on our new Key Largo.

jnbhobe

Jnbhobe - We didn't have any problem with our new 2014 Ram 3500 factory installed brake controller with the new disc brakes on our new Key Largo.

Thats great, maybe it was just the chevys I would think they all should work.

Majestic

I really need some experienced help with the disk brake issue with Chev. When we picked up the unit, the dealer needed to install a brake magnet to get the internal controller to work.

Next time we hooked up, the hydraulic brake pump was pulsing and we couldn't pull the unit. We had to install a P3 controller and run a new brake wire to the truck plug to bypass the Chev controller. Worked for 3000 miles. Stopped and found the brake pump running. Called Dexter again, disconnected the pump wires and it shut down, brakes dragging slightly. Pump running but valves open so not building pressure.

pulled unit home, brakes dragging but not to hot. When pump is running and brakes are applied, all works well so not a safety issue.

Discovered through testing guidance with Dexter that i could create the pulsing problem and the pump running problem by rapid applications with the P3 controller.

everyone is stumped!

those that installed the Carlisle HBA-CAM, did you have simular issues before the install.

Hunter11

Gary, I knew about the Dexter disc brake issue and my trucks brake controller before we ordered our unit and the dealer got Heartland and Dexter involved to see what could be done to fix it. They both agreed that the Carlisle HBA-CAM or a P3 would take care of the issue. I decided to go with the Carlisle unit because I did not want another brake controller in the truck and wanted to use the factory installed unit. We have just pulled it the 1400 miles home but in that time I never had the pump problem you describe. The only thing I had to do was turn my controller down some because the disc brakes work so much better than the drum brakes our old unit had. Now I am knocking on wood as I type this but so far the Carlisle unit is working as advertised.

porthole

Retired

If everyone shopping for a new truck made it known to Chrysler and GM that they want the same brake capability as Ford, maybe the big 2 would listen.

I have no brand loyalty and when it came time for the new truck, the TBC and all of it's integration, as well as being hydraulically activated, was a major factor in picking the F-350

EPaulikonis

Bob&Patty....Appreciate the tipper on Prodigy as a backup. Will be curious to see if the factory brake controller works. Surprised many of the factory controllers don't support since the trailer mod is electric over hydraulic.

EPaulikonis

jnbhobe...glad to hear the 2014 Ram didn't have issues. Saved me a call to the truck dealership to start researching the issue. Guess I should have looked at all the replies first.

Majestic

It is interesting that Dexter doesn't feel compelled to fix the problem. Dexter has confirmed that this problem is happening across the board now, not just GM.

Dexter also says they tested the P3 and it solved the issues for all makes.

I asked Dexter about Carlisle HBA-CAM. Since we installed the P3, it will not help now but i am thinking about tearing out the P3.

Our problem seams to be more complex an issue than most, that is why i am trying to find someone that has had similar issues.

GM says it's not there problem, dealer has no idea, Dexter hasn't run into this complex issue before, P3 installer has walked away, not their problem.

nscaler2

It is interesting that Dexter doesn't feel compelled to fix the problem. Dexter has confirmed that this problem is happening across the board now, not just GM.

Dexter also says they tested the P3 and it solved the issues for all makes.

I asked Dexter about Carlisle HBA-CAM. Since we installed the P3, it will not help now but i am thinking about tearing out the P3.

Our problem seams to be more complex an issue than most, that is why i am trying to find someone that has had similar issues.

GM says it's not there problem, dealer has no idea, Dexter hasn't run into this complex issue before, P3 installer has walked away, not their problem.

We have a 2011 GMC 3500HD now and had a 2006 Ford F350 previously. We have the disk brake and Mor/Ryde suspension. The pump for the disk brakes is a Carlisle. All of that worked OK with the Ford. When we bought the GMC we knew that it would not work without modification. We had the Carlisle HBA-CAM installed and the GMC now works perfectly with the electric/hydraulic brakes. Have towed with this combination well over 10000 miles with absolutely no problems.

porthole

Retired

GM says it's not there problem.

Until enough people get up and say - I will buy brand ??? because they actually do support the technology change.

dealer has no idea,

Not surprised

Dexter hasn't run into this complex issue before

Time to raise the flag

P3 installer has walked away, not their problem.

Maybe not, but when in my former career I kind of looked forward to some of the challenges.

Majestic

Thanks, it will be interesting to see how the Carlisle HBA-CAM works with the Dexter system when i get it