Landmark Sat Install Questions

bwc1950

Very nice job! The pictures are worth a thousand words, thanks for taking the time to post them. What is the black box with the two yellow connectors?

GlenStMary

No, I did not install that plate. I have it ordered and will install that as soon as it arrives. Right now the coach sits beside my barn and we won't be going anywhere before that plate arrives. I too was worried about the shaking going on while moving down the road.

GlenStMary

That is a signal power meter for my over the air TV antenna. I put a small patch of velcro on the wall and on the back of the meter so I don't have to guess where it is and it makes it easy to see the meter when I'm standing at the antenna crank swinging the antenna.

VMooreSR

Glenn, What type of coax cable tone tool were you using to try and locate the coax in the roof? Thanks, Vince

GlenStMary

What I have been using for some 15+ years is a Progressive Electronics 200EP Inductive Amplifier and a Tracer II tone generator. In a former life I installed some very intensive computer networks and that is the toner I used to design and implement those networks. To be honest. I have not kept up with the newest electronics and tools, so there probably exists much better equipment today.

jdamude

The pictures are great. I'm just greeting ready to wire my 3650 BC. The pictures will help me through my

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Glen,

Nice clean work. Seeing the satelite in the front of the coach now shows me where to install mine. Since I know where my factory cables are I will use them unless it is to long of a run and then I will go with your wiring plans. My only question is, is the roof just as sturdy here as opposed to more center of coach, lets say mid ship? Thanks for sharing.

Jim

GlenStMary

According to everything I read and what the dealers mechanics have told me, the roof is the same from front to back. When I read the Traveler install instructions one thing jumped out at me and that was they said if you have more than 3/16" between the base plate and the roof you could have problems. Another reason I was hesitant to put mine where most others have been installed was that my roof has a definite slope from the center to the sides and it seems to be exaggerated in the center. The point where I installed my dish had the most flat area except the very back of the rig. But from there I was looking at about 25' or so of cable on the roof. I did not like that idea. I'm inclined to believe that each coach is a bit different, so your best bet is to go topside with a level or straightedge and see what you have to work with. If I can be of any help at all, short of flying to NY, please let me know. Good luck!

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
If I can be of any help at all, short of flying to NY, please let me know. Good luck!

Thanks Glen for the followup info. So I am guessing that you coming up today to help me in person with snow predicted is a no go?

GlenStMary

You've got that right! I don't do the cold very well anymore. I moved from the Northeast about 25 years ago and have since developed a severe allergic reaction to temps below the 50's. I'm more comfortable here where it was 85 yesterday. I spent the day digging a trench out to the barn and will be finishing up a fence around one of my pastures today and I'd much rather be sweating than knocking ice off my mustache.

danemayer

Anyone get their coach pre wired with two leads so you can record and watch on Direct

Hi judykhaines,

No need to run 2 coax wires to the living room for a DVR. Directv's recent receivers use Single Wire Module (SWM) technology where a single coax line from the dish to the DVR lets you record and watch at the same time. My HR24-500 DVR does both SWM and the older Multi-switch modes. Originally I used it with a Multi-switch LNB on the dish, and I ran a 2nd coax line myself. Later I changed the LNB to SWM and only 1 wire is needed.

We want the option of recording two different programs at the same time and watching TV from our list, will that work with what you are describing ? Thank you, Judy

danemayer

We want the option of recording two different programs at the same time and watching TV from our list, will that work with what you are describing ? Thank you, Judy
Well, that really sounds more like a question about the receiver's capabilities. On my Directv HR24-500 receivers (one at home, one in the RV), I can record 2 programs at the same time. The receiver at home uses multi-switch technology with 2 wires to the receiver. The one in the RV uses SWM technology with one wire to the receiver. Both receivers have exactly the same functionality.

While recording 2 programs, I think I can also play something previously. But I cannot watch a 3rd live program while recording 2 programs. But that's not a wiring issue, it's a receiver limitation both at home and in the RV.

The key is that there are 2 tuners in the receiver (or more for some newer receivers). The wiring has to support both tuners and with SWM, one wire supports both. I think if I were to upgrade to one of the newest receivers, one wire might support up to 4 tuners, each capable of being set to a different program. In that case I could probably record 3 programs and watch a 4th.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
My DirecTV Genie has five tuners.
Dish has the Hopper, I don't know how many tuners it has.
I can watch one channel and record another four programs.
It requires only one coax from the dish to the receiver.
Then, to take that a step further, if you get the Genie Mini Client you can set that up in the bedroom and watch anything that you have recorded on the main Genie.
The Mini requires one coax split from the main coax in the coach.

Peace
Dave

porthole

Retired
I am doing the same as Cookie's setup.
But I bring my receiver from the house when we leave. That way even if I can't get a SAT signal we can watch everything that is on the DVR. Which typically is filled to 70% capacity if High Def content.

The house is set up with one receiver and 3 Genie clients. For the travel season the house's spare bedroom client is kept in the Cyclone.

GlenStMary

If you follow SAT technology any you will find that DirecTV is currently testing their wireless Genie clients in some parts of the country. When they become readily available that will make RV installs really simple. No more extended HDMI cables or extra coax runs. I'm eagerly awaiting those deliveries

dave10a

I did not install a sat dish on my roof, but went the portable dish root. However, I did install solar panels and found that Heartland roofs are a challenge because they don't have either 3/8 ply wood or 16 inch centers between rafters. Heartland supplied me with a drawing showing how the roof is constructed and using that drawing I was able to install unistruct to the roof members to make for a solid installation for the panels. I suspect the sat dish would have the same mounting problem. I know that some have installed solar panels using well nuts, but I don't consider that good engineering practice and could be a problem with strong winds-- like traveling at 70mph with a 30+mph head wind. As an experiment I was able to easily rip the well nuts out of similar roof like Heartland uses-- so be ware...... :)