Large Families, are you purchasing toy haulers to sleep everyone comfortably?

alex00

Only problem is I can't get all the kids in the bunk room. The 290BHS has room for four on the bunks. The 310 BHK I belive has 3 beds in the back - it looks line one bottom bunk is eaten up by the outside kitchen space. We could throw a mattress on the floor - but that is still only 4 in back.

There are actually a lot of Heartland trailers that I could get 4 in back, but my goal is to get all six. And get a full queen for me. I'm not trying to be difficult, but if I am going to drop $30-40k to replace my NorthTrail, it needs to meet my needs. Otherwise we are back to where we are now - crammed in. I just wish with all of Heartland's travel trailer lines, they would use one of them to have some non-standard designs.

I think you were on to something with the toy hauler and ikea bunk beds. Even beyond ikea you could have triple bunks made that went on either side of the garage. Just take out the stock beds and turn the garage into a dedicated bedroom with custom bunks. For bonus points you could make the bunks fold flat against the wall to allow most of the garage to be used for hauling.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
EandJ,

To clarify my point with the Sundance TT having the 50 Amp and 2nd AC option was to point out that other Heartland TT lines have these options and that maybe talking with the Heartland product manager that Torque or one of the other Toy hauler lines could accommodate your request for one or both of those options since Heartland already has travel trailer lines using these options.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I think you were on to something with the toy hauler and ikea bunk beds. Even beyond ikea you could have triple bunks made that went on either side of the garage. Just take out the stock beds and turn the garage into a dedicated bedroom with custom bunks. For bonus points you could make the bunks fold flat against the wall to allow most of the garage to be used for hauling.

To follow in the same vain I believe that the "lift" bunk is an option on the Torque, When you talk with Heartland - I would make sure to ask what the ceiling height is in the garage. that will dictate what you can do for bunks in that space. keep in mind that in a 10ft garage length you only have 8ft of flat since the last 24 inches is angled down for "toy" loading... In my Cyclone 3010 I have an 10ft garage and between the bunk queens and the sliding glass door there is just over 4 ft so adding a bunk in that space may be possible but it will overlap the slider nearly 100%

I will be very interested in what your final solution ends up being as I am sure many others here will be.

EandJ

Something similar to this has crossed my mind. I figured, if I was going to have to make all these mods to a new unit, why? Just buy a fairly new used unit with the walls in the right place, and take out the extra entertainment centers, etc that they all put in that use up bunk space. Went searching on PPL's website, but they didn't have anything feasible - plus for the newer units - their prices = brand new unit price. But if I came across the right used unit that was structually sound, I could definately see re-doing a back room. The construction in these units is simple.

EandJ

To follow in the same vain I believe that the "lift" bunk is an option on the Torque, When you talk with Heartland - I would make sure to ask what the ceiling height is in the garage. that will dictate what you can do for bunks in that space. keep in mind that in a 10ft garage length you only have 8ft of flat since the last 24 inches is angled down for "toy" loading...

I wonder if the make a single "lift" bunk that I could add after the fact, I'll have to do some digging around on the web for that.

In my Cyclone 3010 I have an 10ft garage and between the bunk queens and the sliding glass door there is just over 4 ft so adding a bunk in that space may be possible but it will overlap the slider nearly 100%

I will be very interested in what your final solution ends up being as I am sure many others here will be.

This is what I was afraid of, I would want to leave a decent enough path around the bed for kids to wander around. In my research, I am definately going to find a Torque with the bunk options and take me measuring tape.

Went camping for a long weekend this past weekend. Luckily we had great weather, and could eat every meal outside. So we left the dinette converted to a bed for out eldest and had the entire bunk room floor covered with the other two kids. It's doable for short trips in good weather, but when it's raining or freezing (or 100+ degrees like here in the summer) , I don't relish the picnic table option.

This is funny. When you think about all this - very much a First World Problem.

ray587

I've owned several 5th wheels and last year We bought a Roadwarrior toyhauler. I'd never go back to regular 5th wheel again.