Larry the headhunter is getting operated on

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Granted you've had some major surgery, but perhaps from all the pain meds you had to get weaned off, your body isn't quite sure yet how to deal with it. Hang in there.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Yep, it Sux, but you can get through it. The pain will get better and remember what your body has been through in the last month and especially the last week. Your brain has lots of adjustments to make still just from getting off the pain meds before surgery. You weren't off of them for long before surgery so your system really hasn't adjusted yet and here you go with a two day operation. Patience and try to laugh without hurting yourself too bad. It helps!

Kristy

bluebirdsnfur

Wow...and Wow again! Just joined this forum a few weeks ago (don't have an rv yet...but soon) and I am happily amazed at the outpouring of support for you, Larry and DW Debbie! I see a very special group of people here. I see you guys have been thru so so much and even tho we don't know each other, I would like to send you some 'heal fast energy' and a BIG OL BEAR HUG...not too tight. =-)

See ya on the road someday!

DebnAl

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
It's so true DebnAl, Heartland RV owners are incredibly special, and wonderful too. I have made more friends both on our RV trips as well as on this special forum. My incredible DW Debbi and I are blessed with all the new and lasting friends we have developed just since rollinghome first began this thread late June 2010. I was about to endure my 2nd back operation and ultimately failed back fusion and continues today one week after a 2 stage 12 hour anterior/posterior 360 spinal fusion. We have been invited to camp with virtually hundreds of Heartland owners, all over our beautiful country. Most of these special people we have never even met.

It is an undeniable feeling to be the mascot and special cause I can't explain it. Now I am home in my hospital bed facing at least 6 more months of excruciating pain and agony, but still all I get are support and love. Thank you with all my heart, my friends, Debbi and I will never, ever forget you.

I have a large stomach hematoma right now and hoping to avoid an emergency operation tomorrow, so keep those thoughts and prayers coming, I'm still in horrible back pain, but hopefully this swollen mass will dissipate harmlessly. I will post as soon as I'm able.

bluebirdsnfur

Hey Larry! Does that mean when Al and I get our new fifth wheel that we get to be your's and Debbi's new BFFs! :D Well there ya go! First a smile, then a giggle, then a laugh...heal fast!

Git 'er done!

DebnAl

dieselsweetheart

Happy Birthday Larry!! it's just not right to be in so much pain on your birthday....sending healing vibes your way!! Feel better soon please!!!!

Larryheadhunter

Hi folks thanks so much for the birthday wishes. Yesterday I was rushed to the hospital with excess fluids in my back and stomach. They wanted to drain it but my surgeon insisted on my body naturally absorbing it. So after spending the night in the hospital I came home today to wonderful bday cards, flowers, and my son created a fantastic family portrait that was beautiful. My daughter gave me an over the hill medical alert whistle, lol. On Mon we go see the surgeon, and hopefully my hemoglobin will have risen, and I will continue to heal without incident.
Thanks again for all your good wishes.

lwmcguir

Happy Birthday Larry as well and sure will be thinking and praying for you to get by this and back to camping.

Larryheadhunter

Latest Update for Larry's recovery from spinal fusion surgery:

Well, my birthday at home on Feb 19th was awesome, but on Mon Feb 21, on the way to the surgeons office for my 2 week post op check up, they called and sent me to the hospital as my stomach had excess fluids and they wanted some action on it. After 4 hours of the radiologist poking me with needles, checking each vein near the bloating for blockages, they decided that the bleeding had coagulated, so they moved me to another procedure room and with the help of an ultrasound, drained 7 ounces of blood and fluid (over 200 cc's) in my stomach that had accumulated with a 1 ft. suction catheter, which was initially very painful, but feels much better now. They also decided to leave the 7 ounces of fluid alone in my back, and allow my body to reabsorb it, as I was taking a huge chance of having the hardware removed if probing caused an infection. I am so glad I listened to my surgeon, and followed his instructions, as the hospital near my home wanted to do surgery on my stomach and fill me with antibiotics that I didn't need. Thru all the scary times my surgeon, Dr. Watkins, gave me his home and cell phone number and guided me thru this crazy time without any major body invasions.
Now I am home 3 weeks post op, and just taking it easy, making sure I don't take any oxycodone, only small amounts of norco and methadone, which I will be weaned off in a couple months. I feel so much better now, as I have been walking regularly, and starting to get my appetite back. My only major pain is in the lower left side of my back and aching down that leg. My whole right side feels normal, and now I have to listen to my awesome DW Debbi and not overdo anything, no BLT's, (no bending, lifting and twisting) and just try to heal up. I have hope now that this bizarre 2 years of pain and suffering may come to an end in the next 6 months, and we are quietly talking about actually getting back into RVing again, at the end of summer. You have to have a dream and goals to achieve, and after seeing all those pictures of our last long RV trip of over 50 summer days in 2009, we are hoping that we can reenter the camping world of life. I gotta do it, and thanks so much everyone for all your prayers and especially the supportive PM's, emails, phone calls etc. which keeps me going. My Heartland owner friends have been the difference for me, hands down. After almost 8,800 views of this thread, I am a believer in all of you, and I can't wait to go camping all over the country and meet up with all you great folks that have invited me to camp with you, once I am recovered enough. Hopefully, in the next year, if my recovery keeps on improving, we will be buying a new Chevy truck and a Heartland 5th wheel. Psst... don't tell Debbi I am dreaming big, but I will convince her if she sees me really recover with minimal residual pain. It appears having the anterior/posterior 360 degree fusion wasn't overkill, and that going thru the front on a fusion is fantastic for compression, which is the secret for a successful spinal fusion.

So my buddy that got us into 5th wheeling called today and invited us to go with them for a week or 2 in their Weekend Warrior, at the end of June, maybe even going as far as Oregon and/or Washington, if I am feeling up to it. Now that is a goal I can try to meet. Don't know if I can make it, I am still in a lot of pain, but I will be counting the days. That's it for now, folks, thanks again for all your support. I will update this thread again in a few weeks, after I see how I am feeling.
Wish me luck..........

PSF513

MAN: You keep this up and we will have to call you SUPERMAN. 10 feet tall and bullet proof.

It is so awesome that things are progressing well and you are already planning to RV again,

GETnBYE

Wishing you luck, as you asked. But, I am thinking it will be the determination that you have that will carry you the rest of your journey. Take it slow for now, listen to Debbi.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Larry, awesome news and never doubted you could do this. Best wishes on a speedy, uncomplicated recovery. Hurry back to RVing, as Kristy and I need your help with our raffles. Hugs to Debbi and tell her she just needs to get a small stick to whack you with if you try anything you're not supposed to. :)

bill40

Great News, you know I am going to agree with the Chevy truck thing with a new Heartland, but getting back on the road is the best thing. Looking forward to more good news. Take Care Bill & Jerry

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
What great news for you and Debbie.
Like Pete said, you are a Superman!!!!Hang in there, make a full recovery and then sart traveling.

jbeletti

Nice update and great news Larry. You are really making progress. Just continue to stay focused on the prize and continue to follow Doctor's instructions.

Jim

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Debbi doesn't need a small stick, she needs a BIG one so Larry doesn't over due it and make recovery take longer. Slow and steady, Larry. that is the only way to recover without re-injury.

You know we are thinking of you.

Kristy and Mark

loafer

Hey Larry
Sounds good so far remember baby steps at first . Slow and steady will win the race for you,yes a new truck and rig will be the prize for all your determination thats getting you thru all this.You are soooo lucky to have a good women beside you I am sure you know that as Deb is going thru all this just as much as you . For better or worse so now the worst is over just focus on getting to the better.
Thanks for the detailed updates
Stay well my friend
Bill