Laundry - whose job is it?

MTPockets

Before we were full time, She did the laundry in the house and had a load or loads going several days/wk. we chose to not add the W/D in the 5vr as the thought of that same routine would get in the way of our travel desires and the frequent background noise, laundry stuff lying around, sorting, etc, and the general hubbub associated with doing laundry in the RV was just not an appealing thought. Now, three years full time we're sure we made the right decision. What is apparent during our outings to the laundromat, 90% of the time it's the women doing the laundry; even in the 50 plus senior communities. We share the day and usually get in and out in around 2 hrs. We share the loading, unloading, folding and putting everything away when done. Seams to go fast and a good excuse to eat out. Where are others on this particular topic? Is it left to the women? Or shared?

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I, being the DW, do the laundry the majority of the time....however, I would NOT be without my W/D in the rig. I usually do a couple loads once a week on a day when we are just chillin' at home...

Last edited:

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
We each do our own as we have things we want treated a certain way, she hang drys some of her shirts and pants and I like to hang my clothes right out of the dryer. I do wish we had on board w/d as I hate following some of the idiots that use the laundry room here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pegmikef

On the road in our home away from home we share the laundry chores, but at our home in San Angelo my wife usually does it while I do help fold and put my own away. We too, opted not to add the W/D and I like being able to do three or four loads at the same time when we are traveling.

JanAndBill

On the road I do it most of the time. At home we both do because neither of us thinks the other does it right.

danemayer

My laundry's easy - put it in the washer, move to the dryer, hang in the closet. I can handle that. Hers requires training and can't be left to amateurs. Stacked washer/dryer in the front closet makes life really easy for us.

jayc

Legendary Member
She pulls the dirty clothes out and puts them in a basket that I carry out to the truck and into the (usually) park laundry. She calls me when the laundry is done and I pick her up and bring the washed laundry back home. Been working for over 6 years. We still don't want a washer and dryer.

Jim-Lynn

When we are on the road, my wife does all the laundry. My job is outside, maintenance and cooking. I guess it is a good trade, because I am sure I would screw up the delicate wardrobe. We are happy with our arrangement as they are not chores, they are what we like to do.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
At home and in the rig, we each do our own. I also do my own ironing and mending. Old habit for me, I guess, after my First Sergeant graciously declined to take the job way back when.

Chippendale

I was about 9 years older than DW and retired first, so I got in the habit of doing the laundry at home while she was teaching school. When she retired, I just kept doing it and she let me, no big deal to me. We spent a few summers up in Ruidoso, NM and found a good, not in my opinion cheap, wash and fold service that we used. It worked real well and kept me out of the park laundry.

DW passed away about a year ago, and Dolly, my cocker spaniel, and I are starting to RV again, but since my new Gateway doesn't have a w/d, and I only stay gone about 2 duffel bags full, I just start the washer here in the house as soon as we get home and it is finished and back on the trailer before time to take it to the storage lot.

If I end up doing several month long trips, I am sure I will purchase a w/d because I really don't like using laundromats.

Tundra2084

Hubby and I both put the laundry into the washer at the laundromat and while it's washing we go get lunch. When it's done washing we both take a washer and empty it into a basket and put it into a dryer. While drying we either go outside and chat or watch tv If the laundromat has one,either way we are spending time together doing what needs to be done. But once back at the RV I put it all away while hubby takes the pups out to do their business.
As for having a washer and dryer in the unit, not sure if I would because the thought of something else that could leak doesn't appeal to me, I am one of those who thinks that if it can then in time it will with my luck.

Wharton

On the road we share the laundry, cleaning etc. This is normally one day a week and we consider it our "at home" day. We feel one day a week needs to be a down day. We do the laundry first thing in the morning, takes about 2 hours and we are done for the week.

Rangelady

So for those of you that do laundry at the parks or other laundromat what does it cost you? We didn't have a w/d in our unit but thought we would like it when we fulltime a few years from now.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
So for those of you that do laundry at the parks or other laundromat what does it cost you? We didn't have a w/d in our unit but thought we would like it when we fulltime a few years from now.

Our park is $1.25 per load at 3 loads to wash and 3 to dry per week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We do weekly clothes laundry at the park office, but if schedule doesn't permit or we need to wash bigger items, we go to the laundromat. Our park is $1.00 wash or dry, but they are not oversized machines. The laundromat in town is $1.50 wash, and $2.00 dry but they are larger capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wharton

The cost varies so much by park. Where we are now it is $1.50/wash and .75/dry. Besides giving us a down day to rest and we wanted the extra space and weight for other
for additional storage.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We use the washer and dryer in our RV and the DW does it. I will do it on occasion. When home we use the home machines. Hate to use the public laundry. No telling who put what in them before you did.

caissiel

We have been using our w/d combo for 10 years now. Payback at the time was 2 years. Just can't live without it. DW does it mostly but it's a none event as we do it when there is a load available. The hamper has been in the shower since day one.