Leaf spring link

RickL

Here is a picture of one of my spring links to the Mor CRE3000. The trailer has approximately 8,000 miles on it now. After seeing and reading the issues others have had I have watching this area extremely cautiously for any signs of potential failure.

Obviously the link is worn to the point without replacement a failure is imminent. While I haven’t really gotten into researching the reason fully my first guess is the wear is a result of the spring and link contacting each other.

682A9E17-A8B4-4544-96B3-B972C953FEC0.jpg

jerryjay11

This is something you don't want to take a chance with so I would suggest to replace your links, bushings and bolts on all your axles now. Having in the past couple years replacing worn links, bushings, and bolts on both a 24 foot TT and my Triton TR21 bass boat trailer I can be comfortable saying that you have several very worn out links and associated parts that is allowing this link to hit the leaf spring. At the same time the hanger may have substantial wear and require replacing.

Gary521

The "link" is called the "shackle". These should all be replaced with the thicker heavy duty type along with bronze spring bushings and greasable "wet" bolts. Looks like part of the spring was rubbing on the shackle maybe due to some slop in the joint.

RickL

This was more of an FYI to others. I’m well aware of the parts (been in the auto/truck service business for 40 plus years) but others may not be inspecting their suspension regularly. I’m am going with Morryde’s upgraded parts but unless I figure out the why (the interference between link (shackle) and the spring) I will have a repeat, it’ll just take longer for the wear to get to the point of imminent failure like I presently have.

It it could be as simple as the existing spring bushings allowing the contact but until I disassemble and inspect it is all conjecture. There exists the possibility that the spring has some side tension creating the issue. (Frame/mounting issue)

Gary521

The plastic bushings that come stock on these trailers wear very quickly as do the shackles themselves. The bolt holes in the shackles oblongate. Its good that you pointed these issues out but this has been a common problem for a long time. I do not know your history with travel trailers or 5th wheel trailers.

RickL

The plastic bushings that come stock on these trailers wear very quickly as do the shackles themselves. The bolt holes in the shackles oblongate. Its good that you pointed these issues out but this has been a common problem for a long time. I do not know your history with travel trailers or 5th wheel trailers.

Until I get replacement parts I haven’t taken anything apart. So I won’t know if the link bolt/link has oblonged or not. As far as my history, I bought my first 5th wheel trailer (NuWa) in 1980. Let’s just say the build quality of that compared to today is unbelievable. In 7 years I had two issues, one was a tire (my fault) and the other was the furnace sail switch (Dometic). Used it 12 months a year in northern Minnesota.