Leak under frig but not the ice maker! Maybe.

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
Same as Jim, I found my shut off in the basement just beside the hot water tank beside the UDC

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Terry, is your fridge in a slide out? Is there an outer vent panel at the top? If you haven't already done it, remove that top vent to see if you can reach' or even see, the ice maker fill tube. You may be able to get to it and not have to pull the fridge. The tube coming up from the solenoid is clamped to a rubber angle piece that is inserted into the rear of the fridge and has a bunch of caulk around it.

BUT FIRST, try trimming the black cover on the tubing far enough back from the solenoid to expose enough good tube and re-attach the tubing to the solenoid. There is a stainless steel tapered insert in the tube. Use some plumbers grease when reattaching. This will help keep the tube from twisting when you tighten up the plastic connector.

You can relocate the mounting of that solenoid to a different location to make up for the tubing you remove. I've had the fridge out twice, it's not a difficult task but a helper makes things much easier. I'll attach a pic or two of the back of the fridge so you can see what your up against.
Thanks Ray for the pictures.That is excatly what I needed to see.My problem is My fridge is not in a slideout so I only have I opening behind the fridge and no way to access the top where the ice maker is without pulling the fridge.I cut the outer tubing from around the line and wires leading to the ice maker this afternoon and as far up as I could reach the tubing was bad,It feel apart in my hand.So I guess the fridge will have to come out.There has to be a way to better protect the tubing.I suppose the heat from the fridge and age is the reason for the problem.Thanks again.

trdeal

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. Shortly after we purchased our unit I found the cut off for the ice maker behind the wall in the basement so I knew where it was.I always disconnect when I winterize.Thanks again.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Thanks Ray for the pictures.That is excatly what I needed to see.My problem is My fridge is not in a slideout so I only have I opening behind the fridge and no way to access the top where the ice maker is without pulling the fridge.I cut the outer tubing from around the line and wires leading to the ice maker this afternoon and as far up as I could reach the tubing was bad,It feel apart in my hand.So I guess the fridge will have to come out.There has to be a way to better protect the tubing. I suppose the heat from the fridge and age is the reason for the problem.Thanks again.
Terry, when I replaced that line from the solenoid to the top, I left the heat wires disconnected. Those are to protect the line from freezing but it seems to be on constantly. Unless that thermal switch in my unit is bad?? In our situation we don't winterize and are rarely exposed to extreme temperatures. I believe this help extend the life of that tubing.
While on the subject, I tried with no luck, to find something to use in place of that clear tube. The clear nylon/poly stuff in the home centers states not for potable water or ice makers. Not sure why, must have something to do with the chemical make-up of the tubing. The fitting out the "out" side of the solenoid is not like anything I've ever seen before. I guess for now, we're stuck with the Dometic supplied tube.

trdeal

Terry, when I replaced that line from the solenoid to the top, I left the heat wires disconnected. Those are to protect the line from freezing but it seems to be on constantly. Unless that thermal switch in my unit is bad?? In our situation we don't winterize and are rarely exposed to extreme temperatures. I believe this help extend the life of that tubing.
While on the subject, I tried with no luck, to find something to use in place of that clear tube. The clear nylon/poly stuff in the home centers states not for potable water or ice makers. Not sure why, must have something to do with the chemical make-up of the tubing. The fitting out the "out" side of the solenoid is not like anything I've ever seen before. I guess for now, we're stuck with the Dometic supplied tube.
Ray,we very rarely camp in freezing temperatures and I always drain the ice maker line,so not sure that I need the heater wires.As far as the tubing goes, will the 1/4 inch OD ice maker tubing work with the fitting on the solenoid and the fitting for the ice maker fill tube?Just a thought.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ray,we very rarely camp in freezing temperatures and I always drain the ice maker line,so not sure that I need the heater wires.As far as the tubing goes, will the 1/4 inch OD ice maker tubing work with the fitting on the solenoid and the fitting for the ice maker fill tube?Just a thought.
I don't think so.I considered it but I think it may be too rigid for the type of connector that's on the solenoid. It would work up top though. I think the issue is the diameter of the tubing used is a tad smaller than ice maker tubing.

trdeal

I don't think so.I considered it but I think it may be too rigid for the type of connector that's on the solenoid. It would work up top though. I think the issue is the diameter of the tubing used is a tad smaller than ice maker tubing.
Ok.Thanks Ray.