Leaking Gray Tank

Jhuff8181

We have a 2015 Gateway 3650BH. We have been parked about four weeks now with no issues. This morning I noticed water leaking from the gray water number two tank where the pipe is connected to the tank. Here is a little background. The 3650BH has two black water tanks and two gray water tanks. Waist water tanks one (black and gray) hold the waste water from the main bathroom in the front while waist water tanks two hold the waist water from the back half bathroom and the kitchen sink. Gray tank two actually is exposed below the belly so I can see where the pipe is connected. There is a foam like substance around the connection and that is where the water is coming out. If I push on the bottom of the tank I can hear water moving around and when I do the leak increases but only as long as I am pushing on it. Am I correct to assume that I can add some sort of external sealer to fix this? Any suggestions?

Thank You

danemayer

Hi Jhuff8181,

If I'm following your description, you have a leak where the outlet pipe attaches to the tank. I'd suggest having your dealer fix it under warranty. You might try an external sealant, but if the problem reappears a year or two down the road, you'll be out of warranty and would have to cover the repair costs yourself.

You didn't mention a gate valve at the outlet, which surprises me. If there is a gate valve involved, that might be the source of the leak and the fix might be simpler.

Jhuff8181

Yes, the leak is coming from where the pipe attaches to the tank. Where would the gate valve be? Another thought, is what I'm seeing under the camper the actual tank or is it a liner around the tank?

Jhuff8181

Got that but the leak is next to the tank. I'm now thinking that what I see is only a cover for the tank and there has been a slow leak in there from the beginning just now filling to where the pipe connects to it and that is why it started leaking. Could that be correct? If so how should I proceed, contact my dealer in Vermont or Heartland direct? I am currently in Florida.

Lynn1130

Heartland can give you a list of locations that they authorize near you and/or information on repair services that will come to your location if you are set up for the short haul and do not want to pull everything up to travel to a repair shop. You will probably have to pay for the service call but the repairs should be covered. Start with Heartland Customer Service. 574-262-8030

Jhuff8181

*Update* - Service person came out today and here is what he found. The leak was coming from where the drain pipe is connected to the tank. There is a piece of 3" black pipe coming out of the tank, a 3" to 2" reducer connected to that and 2" pipe leads to the gate valve and so on. There was no sealer used on the reducer where it was connected to the pipe coming out of the tank. Looks like someone tried to patch the leak with plumber's putty. I'm very disappointed with this obvious poor workmanship.

justafordguy

The part that you see hanging down is just a cover for the actual tank. Now that the pipe is fixed you need to drain the water out of the cover because there is a tank heater on the bottom of the tank and it probably doesn't need to be submerged.