Leaking Hot Water Heater

olcoon

Two years ago when I de-winterized our rig. I turned the 3 valves at the hot water heater, and one of them came apart in my hand. Had to replace it. When I finally got everything done, I had a leak where the line comes out of the hot water heater (this line supplies the camper with hot water). I hadn't done anything with this connection. I tried to tighten it, & it still leaked. I replaced the connection fitting, and it still leaked. I used teflon tape, still leaked & then tried plumbers putty, & still had a leak. At this point I was getting kind of frantic, as we had just gotten to Texas & were living in the camper & been without hot water (no showers) for a couple of days. I then remembered a trick Ken told me when I bought some Rescue Tape, and used it to make an "O" ring. This stopped it, but sometimes we'd get a small leak & I'd tighten it a little more. This has seemed to work, but when I winterized yesterday, from the looks of things it's started leaking again, and apparently has been leaking most/all summer. Anybody got any ideas?

olcoon

Yeah, but I'll still need hot water!!! We should be heading down there sometime in Dec. See ya then Jim!

danemayer

Any chance the leak is coming from the other side - the plastic swivel fitting that screws onto the close nipple that you replaced? I think Grainger has brass swivel fittings.

olcoon

Not sure, Dan. I think the one I replaced was brass, but didn't have a swivel fitting on it. I'll have to look at it in daylight, & try to take a photo.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Used this in the trade when we had stubborn leaks, you will still be able to remove the fitting after it cures. (use as directed) LINK LeakLoc, buy the smallest amount needed as this stuff only lasts about 3 months in the tube/can.