Leaking Level Up Hydraulic Line

pegmikef

Here's a couple of items I found in the library of Heartland Owners Manuals under the "Tools" tab. I called Lippert to verify the PSI and was told that 3000 is the max that the pumps they use are capable of producing. I need the information to get a replacement hose.

On edit. The note in the manual (second photo) is incorrect. The hose I removed (installed by Heartland) is one quarter inch inside diameter (ID), not one half inch as stated in the note.

Attachments

• HoseSpecs.JPG
    HoseSpecs.JPG
    6.7 KB · Views: 48
  • HoseColors.JPG
    HoseColors.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

pegmikef

Nice weather today so I disconnected and fished the broken line out of the trailer (19.5 feet) and had a new hose made which I will install tomorrow and after testing and put everything back together. I did notice that the new hose is considerably stouter than the one I remove. Here's a picture of the damaged section of the line. See if you can guess where the line burst and which part was routed along the battery box.

Attachments

• damagedhose.jpg
    damagedhose.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 61

pegmikef

Did you pull a fish line when you when you pluued the old line out Mike ????

No. I had already dropped the coro-plast so I could see the whole thing. The way it was installed in the hangers with the other lines it was much too tight to use a pull line. I had to push the hose on one side of the hanger with one hand while pulling the hose on the other side with my other hand. There are two such hangers, plus the area where it goes through the frame.

pegmikef

Re: Leaking Level Up Hydraulic Line. Fixed!

Installed the new hydraulic line today and it works great. I am going to leave the system under pressure overnight to make sure I didn't induce any other leaks or problems. If all is good in the morning I will put everything back together. The hardest part of this whole job is getting the old line out and then threading the new line in. The connections are simple using a 9/16th open end (no O rings involved).

Does anyone know what Heartland uses to seal around hoses and wiring that go through the frame? Is it just spray foam insulation or is there a special compound for that purpose?

pegmikef

Re: Leaking Level Up Hydraulic Line Finished!

After being under pressure overnight, I found no traces of leaking hydraulic fluid anywhere in the hydraulic system and found no other problems so I reinstalled the coroplast and sewer hose tubes. Now all that is left to do is close the batteries up and reload essential junk back into the generator compartment. Now that it is done I am glad I did it myself as I learned a lot about my trailer and how things (especially hydraulic system) are installed and that I can probably make other repairs that I probably would not have tried otherwise.

I did learn that if you are working by yourself, reinstalling the coroplast is really a challenge and that an impact wrench is a must.. I ended up using a floor jack and eight foot 2/4 to help hold it up.

All in all, it was a labor intensive inexpensive project. The tools and materials I used were:

Impact wrench with 3/8 inch socket and extension.
Razor knife (for cutting coroplast as needed).
9/16 inch open end for hose fittings.
Needle nose pliers with wire cutter (for cutting and tightening wire ties that hold the lines).
Creeper, large piece of cardboard (used both) or any other ground cover for working under trailer

Custom made replacement hydraulic hose $39.00
Gap sealing foam for resealing frame holes 5.00
Heavy duty black wire ties to replace the cut ones . . . on hand.
RV Belly Repair Tape . . . on hand

danemayer

Mike,

When you removed the failed hose, was there any fluid pressure? Did the hose drain easily? Did you have to purge air from the new hose?

pegmikef

Mike,

When you removed the failed hose, was there any fluid pressure? Did the hose drain easily? Did you have to purge air from the new hose?

No pressure, just the fluid that remained in the line where it was lower than the leak. It drained very easily. and only a couple of drops came out of the fittings on the jack and the manifold. It was the return line from the door side middle jack and was routed across the trailer and then along the frame with the other lines, through the generator compartment wall to the manifold mounted on the right side of the generator compartment as you face it from the front. The line was 19.5 feet long. I had the new one made shorter and rerouted it so it is not next to the battery box seam.

On the air, yes had to purge it. I had read on this forum and saw on you tube to fill the reservoir to the correct level then cycle the system a couple of times to force the air out and fill the line. I did just that and then had to add a little more fluid to the reservoir. Overall, between the fluid that leaked and that needed to fill the new hose, I added just under a quart.

Bobby A

I have a friend that is going nuts trying to find his hydraulic leak in his door side front level up. it seems the hoses are dry but some how leaks onto the foot. Pretty rapidly I might add. Does anyone know of a mobile service hear or near Tampa Florida or more specific New Port Richey Florida. He would rather have a mobile service than to up root. Is there any possibility of a seal gone bad in the leg it self ?? What type of fluid should he be adding ?? Im sure he is pretty low on fluid. He had the Lippert 6 point like most of us do. Thanks everyone.

TedS

He might be lucky and have a loose fitting at the top of the cylinder or unlucky and have a rod seal leak.

Top up the fluid with ATF, automatic transmission fluid.

pegmikef

I have a friend that is going nuts trying to find his hydraulic leak in his door side front level up. it seems the hoses are dry but some how leaks onto the foot. Pretty rapidly I might add. Does anyone know of a mobile service hear or near Tampa Florida or more specific New Port Richey Florida. He would rather have a mobile service than to up root. Is there any possibility of a seal gone bad in the leg it self ?? What type of fluid should he be adding ?? Im sure he is pretty low on fluid. He had the Lippert 6 point like most of us do. Thanks everyone.

How about the fittings where the hose connects to the jack. All my jacks have elbows on them and the hose connects to the elbow. An earlier poster on this thread mentioned that he had to replace an elbow. If your friend can have somebody else retract and lower the jack while he watches the fittings he might see it leak. On mine the black lines are the extend lines and the orange are the retract lines. Since the line at the jack is probably higher that the rest of the line it may only be leaking when it is under pressure. I used the "menrose" ATF recommended by Lippert as I don't have the "popping" problem so I didn't have to use that other stuff recommended earlier in this thread.

Bobby A

How about the fittings where the hose connects to the jack. All my jacks have elbows on them and the hose connects to the elbow. An earlier poster on this thread mentioned that he had to replace an elbow. If your friend can have somebody else retract and lower the jack while he watches the fittings he might see it leak. On mine the black lines are the extend lines and the orange are the retract lines. Since the line at the jack is probably higher that the rest of the line it may only be leaking when it is under pressure. I used the "menrose" ATF recommended by Lippert as I don't have the "popping" problem so I didn't have to use that other stuff recommended earlier in this thread.

O.k. thanks everyone, didn't mean to hijack this thread, just trying to help out a friend.