Leaking rear black tank

mcolson84

Well, It has happened again. We have owned our new Gateway 3650bh for two weeks now, and we do love the trailer. However, we have had a horrible smell for a couple of days now. I finally found where it was coming from. The underbelly was full of sewage from the leaking rear black water tank. I am taking it in to the dealer this morning to have it cleaned and repaired. Heartland desperately needs to do something different with their plumbing. I do like their products, but their plumbing leaves a lot to be desired. Hopefully they can get it fixed quickly since my elk hunt is coming up on the 19th. I think if I buy another heartland anything I am going to make them fill the black and gray water tanks completely full of water and let them sit for a few hours so I can check for leaks. This is just what happened on our Road Warrior toyhauler. The front tanks are mounted better and more secure (at least on the Road Warrior they were) than the rear black tank, and I have never had them leak. The rear tank however flops around to much while going down the road, and has nothing but the piping to keep it from moving around. We hadn't even had a chance to go anywhere except from the dealership to the house which is about 10 miles. Hopefully the dealer won't give us any problems. I hope we can get this thing fixed and enjoy it, not regret it!

On a side note. I noticed where the fiberglass wall on the outside has a piece broken out of it above our bedroom window that is approximately 3" long and 2" high. It looks like they forced the window frame through the hole when they where building the trailer and broke the fiberglass. Instead of repairing it though they just silconed the window frame and left two exposed cracks running towards the roof line about 2" long. I am glad I found this, because this winter when water gets back there and freezes it could cause a real big problem (not that it is not already a big problem).