leaking water heater on 3055 rl

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
Thanks for your helpful replies.
I think the Camping World experience in Tallahassee was one that gets repeated everywhere when you break down on Sunday. Wait till Monday.
Got to Foley, AL and the Robertsdale (AL) Camping World knew exactly what I was talking about and had a brass one in stock.
Note to those who don't know squat about plumbing (like me) -- there's a right way and a wrong way to put that baby in there. The leak will get stopped, but there won't be any hot water flowing. It only goes in one way. :)

MTPockets

Just found a leak -guess where - that plastic check valve....... When I went to remove it, it broke off - now I have the plastic to remove from where it screwed into the hot water heater..... Project done for the day ...... Ordered brass from Tweetys $6.89 but another $9 for shipping...... I'll have to work on getting that plastic out tomorrow. Lucky we can get by for a while.

jbeletti

OK - I bit the bullet and bought the insurance policy. Just bought 2 each Camco brass check valves and 2 each Parker Brass hex nipple 1/2" NPT x 1/2" NPT. I'll keep them both in my plumbing parts kit in the RV. One to use (hopefully not) and 1 to help out a friend in need (again - hopefully not). Ordered via Amazon.com, all Prime eligible. Delivered cost for all 4 items: $23.30.

MTPockets

Problem solved - installed the brass and voila' no leaks..... See this thread //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/35482-SOLVED-Plastic-water-heater-nipple-broke-How-to-remove

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I "bit the bullet" last year and got a brass fitting, but the plastic one is still working. So, the brass one is in the plumbing repair box, should it be needed. Also have the nipple extractor tool, and recently bought a Dremel kit with reamers, rimers, and whatever else it'll take. Woman can't have enough purses, Man can't have enough tools.

back2nature

Because of this thread, we decided to look at ours. It looks like the threaded area around the plastic is rusted. So we guess it leaked till it rusted closed. Not leaking now. So we are ordering those parts now too. Thanks forum.

By the way, we were in there because there was a leak at the hot water supply line to the outdoor shower handle behind the UDC. The Pix clamp wasn't tight enough. You could pull it off with your fingers. Leaked all over the basement. But it's all fixed now.

Sent from my cell using Tapatalk2

rick_debbie_gallant

Insurance arrived. Hoping to have JohnDar's luck and never need it. Got 2 sets in the plumbing kit.
View attachment 22692

Jim, it is not if it fails but when it fails! We replaced ours two years ago and it was a pain in the bass. I used a dremel tool and a small saw blade bit that barely fit. Got the plastic pipe threads out put in the brass valve.

I replaced it under my terms when it was nice out and did not wait to replace under its terms. Worked for me!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I hear ya, Rick. Replacing it will be on this spring's storage yard pre-season maintenance schedule. Might even get the main slide windows converted to vertical blinds. Easier to do woodworking projects when my tools are only 10 miles away,rather than 200.