Leaky rear window

azbigfoot

In Phoenix and last night had the first rainstorm in our new Landmark Rushmore. Woke up in the morning and had a small puddle of water on the entertainment center counter on the by the rear window (right side). Got it wiped up and went outside to look at the situation. Noticed the ladder attachments didn't look caulked very well. Went and picked up a nifty folding ladder but it started to rain again and the puddle quickly came back. I didn't think that much water could get through the ladder holes so quickly. Threw on the rain jacket and laid some tape across the top of the entire rear window. That stopped the water from running down the end cap and into the frameless window top. Viola!! No more leak. Have had several torrential downpours and still no water. Really bummed my rig got wet and such an important component (windows) was not caulked properly at the factory. Not sure if I should repair myself or call Heartland.

donr827

If that is the only problem and you feel that you can do a good job it would be a lot less hassle to do it yourself.
Don

wdk450

AZBigfoot:
I got into Mesa Az (Monte Vista RV Resort) yesterday evening. Yeah, we had some pretty hard rains last night!!
You might want to look at my recent thread on a rear window drip channel: //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/42792-Rear-Window-Drip-Channel

jbeletti

Jeff,

Just a guess here, but I had a similar issue on a Landmark a couple years back. It's my belief that during installation of the window into the rear cap, that the gasket on the window was snagged on the window opening in the cap and was not known to the installers. What I did was use two full tubes of sealant and while laying on my belly on the roof and hanging over the edge so I could see the gap where the glass/frame meets the cap, filled that gap from side to side, all the way across the top. As I did it in the rain the first time, I ended up doing it again the next day, in dry weather. No leaks thereafter - ever.

I called Kinro to run it by them and they felt my guess on what happened was likely correct. To remove the window and all that sealant would be a bear of a job now. I asked them if they would suggest I have Heartland pull the window, clean it all up, apply a new gasket and reinstall the window. They felt it best to leave well enough alone, if my fix stopped the leak completely. I never touched it again.