Let me vent a little....

wrehfield

Bought a used 2009 Big Horn 3580RL a month or so ago. Looked pretty nice. the Better half really liked it.
Trouble with the living room slide, marking the floor, some broken wood in the area where the washer and
dryer would be. Took it to a repair shop. Wife ask me if I noticed the soft spot between the closet and the
bed. I had not, her side of the bed.
Got the call today from the repair shop. Still checking a couple items, so far ten grand. All three slides need
adjusting, bedroom slide has to come out to fix the floor with the soft spot.\
You can bet and take it to the bank, no more Heartland.
Bill

MTPockets

I'm sorry for the issues with your Big Horn. Not really a Heartland fault on a seven year old unit though. Things wear and adjustments are necessary. If not properly maintained problems can occur.

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
Bought a used 2009 Big Horn 3580RL a month or so ago. Looked pretty nice. the Better half really liked it.
Trouble with the living room slide, marking the floor, some broken wood in the area where the washer and
dryer would be. Took it to a repair shop. Wife ask me if I noticed the soft spot between the closet and the
bed. I had not, her side of the bed.
Got the call today from the repair shop. Still checking a couple items, so far ten grand. All three slides need
adjusting, bedroom slide has to come out to fix the floor with the soft spot.\
You can bet and take it to the bank, no more Heartland.
Bill

What do except from a used 7 year old rig that might have been owned by more then one person. Did you not have it inspected before you buying it. I sure would have. Don't blame Heartland for someone's lack of maintaining it over the last 7 years.
Really story you have to deal with this, but don't blame the mfg.

My venting over..............

Lynn1130

You are blaming Heartland for issues that more than likely came from previous owners? Sorry but this is more than a little unreasonable.

danemayer

Hi wrehfield,

Sorry you've got these troubles. But frankly, I'm astonished that adjusting the slides and fixing a soft spot in the floor would cost $10,000.

About a year ago someone posted about having bought a 2005 (I think) that turned out to have hidden water damage that rotted out the entire bedroom slide box. If I remember correctly, he had an estimate in the $5,000 range to completely rebuild the room. That estimate seemed a bit high to some of us, but not ridiculously high.

In my experience, when you get ridiculously high bids, it's really that the shop doesn't want the job. So they bid high enough to make you go elsewhere. And high enough that if you accept, it'd be so profitable that they're willing to do the work.

You should start asking very specific questions about the cost estimate. And getting a 2nd opinion would be a very good idea. It's very possible a tech with more experience at the type of repair you need might come up with a very different estimate.

wrehfield

Give me a break guys. the previous owners had no way of know the slide out floor was rotten, if so i would have caught it on the pdi.
We bought it from a dealer and I am sure he didn't know it.
I would think you all have been on forums and have been owners long enough to be aware of the quality control. This is a 38 foot luxury
model and it has one ac.

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
Give me a break guys. the previous owners had no way of know the slide out floor was rotten, if so i would have caught it on the pdi.
I would think you all have been on forums and have been owners long enough to be aware of the quality control. This is a 38 foot luxury
model and it has one ac.

What does quality control have to do with your under maintained 7 year old Big Horn. Still need to blame the others who owned it before you for not maintaining the rig.

Oregon_Camper

If you've only had it for a month, I'd call the dealer and ask them to reinspect. if there is rot (or worse...mold) it should be clear this was there prior to you purchasing the RV. Stand firm...don't let them off the hook.

How complete was your PDI? Did you do a PDI (much like the one in my signature below) or did the dealer do the PDI and tell you everything was fine?

BusManRG

model and it has one ac.
. I hate to disagree, but I would guess the dealer did know. If your wife noticed the soft floor, they sure must have. And they would know that it was only the tip of the iceberg.

donr827

Most all dealers do a PDI on a trailer they are taking in on a trade in. Dealer may have found the problem and decided to past the problem on to the next buyer and try to make extra $$$ by not fixing the problem.
Don

kowAlski631

model and it has one ac.

Can understand that you're frustrated, but if your dealer didn't spot what you and your wife were able to spot quickly, they're not worth anything. Blaming Heartland for quality control conditions on a 7 year old rig is questionable. You don't know how or if it was maintained at all. We've had our rig 4 years and it's doing just fine.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Some dealers may operate on a "don't ask don't tell" kind of thing-- on our trades we were asked specific questions about appliances and other systems working, smoking or not, pets etc., but not a detailed history of any work we had done or problems we had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MCTalley

When we traded in our first rig, the dealer only asked two questions:

1. How many miles are on the trailer, if known?
2. Is there any external delamination.

Based on that information and the fact I told them the rig was currently sitting with a failed bearing on one wheel, they gave me a trade-in value and we worked a deal based on that. The trade-in was low because we did have delamination on the rear outside wall (primary reason) and 45,000 miles on the rig (they didn't write this down, guess I could've lied).

Sarge

You should actually blame your parents for not raising smarter kids.

Would you buy a house without an independent inspection? Same for these.

$10k is expensive for the work quoted. Make enough noise to the dealer and negotiate something.

Might want to have it inspected anyway - Since the previous owner obviously didn't maintain it properly...

Sarge