Level up: Do you still chock the tires?

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Won't that drain your battery and damage the brakes?

I, basically, do the same thing. Only I pull the the break-away when unhooking and then reinstall it as soon as the 6-point level is complete. I figure I don't really need the chocks with all 6 level pads on the ground. If the site isn't fairly level I may pull the break-away when hooking up, but most of the time I don't bother because the 5th wheel hitch is already locked before I bring the level-up system up.

danemayer

Pulling the break-away switch to lock the wheels may not be doing what you think. When the magnets are energized, the wheels have to roll a bit before the shoes are moved into position against the drum.

It's been a while since I've played with the brake mechanism, but I also think the hold is in one direction only. If you change direction, I think the shoes will come away from the drum.

And as noted, continuously energizing the magnets is probably a bad practice. And who knows if the switch/plug is rated for frequent plugging/unplugging without getting loose.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Dan is right about the required movement in the correct direction for the braking to be active.
However, if you have disk brakes and pull the breakaway, although not a real good idea, the brakes would be applied in full with no movement required.

Peace
Dave

jam20ster

Great point about rv having potential to move/jar during unhooking of the hitch pin. I haven't been using my x chocks, but after reading I will start immediately. I never even thought about the jarring motion sometimes associated with the unhitching and the potential damage it could be doing to front legs.

Thanks for the tip!

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
I guess I need to re-adjust my thinking. I've got disk brakes (as of this year's National Rally) but really didn't think of the other aspects of the "emergency" brake. I've got 4 plastic wheel chocks out in the shed. Guess i need to throw them in the truck with the pads for the landing gear.

See----all you have to do is read this forum and learn all kinds of good stuff. Thanks everyone.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We do have the x-chocks in the rv but seldom use them.. What I do is put the plastic chocks on one side to block the wheels before we unhook. Yes we have the 6 point leveling system and the RV should not move but it only takes a moment to put the chocks in place.

DWChris

I do exactly what jjriker does. Put chocks front and back of wheel - level up - then put in x-chocks before I put slides out. Has always worked for me. My motto - better safe than sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk