Level Up rear jacks malfunction help

iowaone

Today after changing spots in the same campground I pressed auto level. Front jacks raised and lowered as normal but when it went to ground the rear jacks pump run but I heard this pound ratcheting noise until I turned off level up. The rear jacks did joy lower. I tried front jacks they worked normal. Slides worked normal. Tried manual level. Same noise. Tried auto a couple more times. Same thing. Front still worked. Waited another five minutes. Tried auto same noise but after maybe 5 or 10 second they lowered and leveled normally. Haven't tested any more. It almost sounded like the fluid valves were sticking and hammering. Temp was about 60 so soulf not have been a factor.
Anyone have this happen? Any ideas what it might be?

danemayer

Hi iowaone,

Strictly a guess, but the ratcheting noise combined with no movement of rear jacks might be due to the control valve failing to open. The pump being unable to move fluid would load the motor and there's probably a slip clutch of some kind to keep from damaging the pump motor.

I'd check the wiring to the control valves to make sure nothing is loose or damaged. Control valves might be either at the jack(s) or at the trombetta which is part of the pump assembly.

lynndiwagoner

I thought level up system was 6 point. If you have 6 point the jacks work side to side, left two jacks and right two jacks.

iowaone

Dan
What you said makes sense. I did not think about the pump having a clutch. It sure seemed like the valves are not opening. I thought it might be the solenoid clicking. Sound was in the pump are but there are valves ther too. Thanks for the ideas.

caissiel

Relief valve might be used. Or build in the pump itself. Most pumps are protected by relief valves.
It might again be the $,50 seal that is falling or the cheap solenoid.
Hydraulics can raise a lot of problems when not working right. Might just be a spec of dirt if not equipped with proper filters.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
Hi iowaone, have another tip that may shed light on your issue. When attempting autolevel, did you receive an error message "low voltage"??
I had similar experience recently with loud clicking noise and failure of jacks to extend. I also was able to move front jacks, as well as operate the hydraulic slides, but when attempting an auto level, that would not work. I contacted the technician that installed my 6-point level-up (this was before time that Heartland installed the system, could only be purchased after market through Trail-Air, later bought by Lippert). He asked me to select voltage on the screen, and read what it indicated when I selected "auto level" To my amazement my voltage dropped from 12.8V all the way down to 4V! My problem was a bad battery that could not provide the necessary voltage. Replaced the battery, and all worked well again.
Just a thought that may point to your problem. PM me and I can give you the technician name and phone number, he still works at Lippert.

iowaone

Thanks Eric
I think the voltage might of been a factor. At least it is an excellent clue. I will PM you for the infor in case I need that. Thanks

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I get a similar situation when my battery voltage is low on my four point system. I can operate the front legs manually, but not the auto-level system. Charging the battery usually solves the problem.

iowaone

After further trouble shooting this morning, it appears this one of my battery cables was slightly loose. When I tighten them it appears things are working ok. We will see. Thanks for the clues on battery. It seems like a weak battery can cause all kinds a strange problems that the converter when plugged to shore power partially hides. I really appreciate the responses. I will let you know more after I fully test it.