Level-UP

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Do you have to go through Cat for the additive or can you get it over the counter somewhere?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Jamie, Google Caterpillar and find a dealer near you.
You will need to get it from Caterpillar parts.

Peace
Dave

Rcnewell11

I used cat additive and works great.i tried other two brands talked about on earlier threads and didn't work.I drained two quarts out and added one quart at a time after cycling first on each quart.

happykraut

So here is the question. Since I've already purchased 2 qts of Maxima from the internet, should I go ahead and use it to see if it works and if it doesn't work add a quart of Caterpillar?

rxbristol

So here is the question. Since I've already purchased 2 qts of Maxima from the internet, should I go ahead and use it to see if it works and if it doesn't work add a quart of Caterpillar?

I used Torco and it did not work. I think I will add the Caterpillar.

Gaffer

How much fork oil did you have in the system before going to the Cat oil? Then how much Cat oil did you use? I put in two pints (correction... two quarts) of fork oil and that helped a lot for a while. Added one more because the popping returned. Still having popping.
We had the same issues with ours. Tried the fork oil, it helped but didn't cure it. Talked to Lippert and the rep indicated that they had success with the Catipiller oil. Tried that and it has been fine.

Last edited:

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired
Does this popping happen when the rig is just sitting still? I have a sound that happens when we walk near the off door rear jack. I will call it a popping but I am not sure it is what you guys are talking about. If not then we haven't experienced any sounds from our Level-Up.

Geodude

Yep, it pops as you're sitting there. Ours was doing the popping thing, put in two 1L bottles of Maxima Fork oil, problem solved.

rxbristol

How much fork oil did you have in the system before going to the Cat oil? Then how much Cat oil did you use? I put in two pints of fork oil and that helped a lot for a while. Added one more because the popping returned. Still having popping.

I've added two quarts of the Torco, but it did not worked. I talked to a Lippert tech today and he recommended, after all hydraulic cylinders are retracted, that I remove what's in the reservoir, add the quart of CAT oil that I want to use, then continue to fill the reservoir with Dextron 3 (standard hydraulic fluid that's used). He stated that if I just added the CAT oil the viscosity could be too high and the hydraulics may not operate correctly in cold temperatures. It sounds like a plan I may try.

Gaffer

This sounds like what I need to do.
I've added two quarts of the Torco, but it did not worked. I talked to a Lippert tech today and he recommended, after all hydraulic cylinders are retracted, that I remove what's in the reservoir, add the quart of CAT oil that I want to use, then continue to fill the reservoir with Dextron 3 (standard hydraulic fluid that's used). He stated that if I just added the CAT oil the viscosity could be too high and the hydraulics may not operate correctly in cold temperatures. It sounds like a plan I may try.

happykraut

What are you going to do when it warms up?
I called Lippert back yesterday and asked them what the proper fill level is. He told me "1/4 in of the filler cap". Then I told him that the reason I called back is because there was a concern on our forum of expansion in hot weather. He said there is no expansion and no problems and to go ahead and fill it to 1/4 in below the filler cap. (Duane, just passing on what Lippert said).

porthole

Retired
Well Bernie, if you really want to follow that instruction, I would just suggest you do it with the trailer on the truck, all the jacks retracted and the slides retracted. JMHO though.

And he is wrong about no expansion, it may not be much, but it is there. There is a reason why you check fluid levels in your vehicles at operating temperatures.

happykraut

Well Bernie, if you really want to follow that instruction, I would just suggest you do it with the trailer on the truck, all the jacks retracted and the slides retracted. JMHO though.

And he is wrong about no expansion, it may not be much, but it is there. There is a reason why you check fluid levels in your vehicles at operating temperatures.
Duane, that's exactly how I did it.

happykraut

Rex, since I had already purchased the Maxima on the web and could not return it, I went ahead and used the Maxima. The say that the 3rd time is the charm so if it pops again I'm going with Caterpillar.

rxbristol

Rex, since I had already purchased the Maxima on the web and could not return it, I went ahead and used the Maxima. The say that the 3rd time is the charm so if it pops again I'm going with Caterpillar.

I drained the reservoir today and refilled with Dextron III and the CAT 1U-9891 oil...we'll see how it goes. I also noticed that the reservoir was under-filled by 1.5 quarts. The Lippert technician said when everything is fully deployed the reservoir should be about 1/2 full. I also talked to a mobile tech today, that I think is the best RV mechanic around, and he stated that CAT oil is the only one that has worked for him. Let us know how the Maxima oil works for you.

Gaffer

How much Dextron did you need?
I drained the reservoir today and refilled with Dextron III and the CAT 1U-9891 oil...we'll see how it goes. I also noticed that the reservoir was under-filled by 1.5 quarts. The Lippert technician said when everything is fully deployed the reservoir should be about 1/2 full. I also talked to a mobile tech today, that I think is the best RV mechanic around, and he stated that CAT oil is the only one that has worked for him. Let us know how the Maxima oil works for you.