Level-UP

Gary521

In the recent past, there has been a bunch of posts about the Level-UP system popping and the fix for it with the special oil. However, I have not heard too much about it lately. Do the new trailers that have the Level-Up system contain the trick oil, has there been a fix or is it still up to the owner of the new trailer to add the special oil? Anybody know? I know what the oil is. I am looking at a new unit and I asked the dealer and he did not know anything about popping. When I get the new unit, I am just curious whether I have to add this stuff or not.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have had our new unit, a BC 4010RD, for a week. Since I work from home and we full-time, I am getting used to the "new sounds" the rig makes.

There has been some popping sounds coming from the off door rear jack and the off door front jack. It is mainly in the mid-morning, when the sun hits that side of the rig and we've had cold temps (30s) overnight. I don't hear it most of the day, 50s-60s, but have heard it some after dark as the temps start to drop again.

All legs are on wood blocks since our site is irregular gravel. The off door legs are extended slightly more than the door side, and we used self-leveling. Level confirmed with iPhone level inside many places.

We haven't decided what to do about it since rig is new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbbls59

I didn't hear mine until this winter. I am hearing it a lot now. I know my system has the correct oil.

Mrsfish

There is another thread addressing this issue - probably more than one. We used Cat oil and made the problem go away.

avvidclif

Here you go.

Attachments

• LIP 0295 - NOISY JACKS - Adding Anti-Stiction Fluid to LCI Hydraulic Systems.pdf
    504.3 KB · Views: 147

jdamude

In the recent past, there has been a bunch of posts about the Level-UP system popping and the fix for it with the special oil. However, I have not heard too much about it lately. Do the new trailers that have the Level-Up system contain the trick oil, has there been a fix or is it still up to the owner of the new trailer to add the special oil? Anybody know? I know what the oil is. I am looking at a new unit and I asked the dealer and he did not know anything about popping. When I get the new unit, I am just curious whether I have to add this stuff or not.

We had the same issues with ours. Tried the fork oil, it helped but didn't cure it. Talked to Lippert and the rep indicated that they had success with the Catipiller oil. Tried that and it has been fine.

MCTalley

Our off-door side rear jack has popped on both the 3950 and this 3650. I notice it more when it does get cold at night and especially when the jack is extended fairly far like it is on this site (which slopes down on that side).

One of these days, I'll try the oil additive and see.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have been doing a bit of research on hydraulic oils because this problem was recently brought to my attention.
The most important thing I can relay is that the fork oils, Torco and Maxima are oils with an additive for anti-stiction.
The Caterpillar is an additive. So one quart of it added to your reservoir will provide a lot more anti-stiction than the fork oil.
Oh, and the Cat oil is about $26 per quart.
Just my 2¢.

Peace
Dave

happykraut

When I bought the 2014 BH it did not pop and then about a year later it started popping. Added one quart of the Torco and it was fine for a good while. Several months ago it started popping again. I can hear the noise on the front 4 jacks. It is really getting bad, sometimes with several pops/min. I purchased 2 quarts of Maxima over the internet and will add it first chance I get. I called Lippert the other day, but they did not mention Caterpillar. They did tell me to add the oil to within 1/4 in of the fill cap and not to pay attention to the fill marks on the reservoir. After about 4 weeks, the rig moved .4 degrees front to back and slightly less left to right.

Last edited:

Gary521

Thanks for the responses so far. It appears that I will have to add the additive and that whoever does add the initial hydraulic oil does not add the additive. I guess that sums it up except I will be minus the cost of the additive.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Been there and done that a couple of times.
The ultimate fix is to remove one quart of what's in it now and add one quart of Cat hydraulic additive.
Be sure to exercise the system to mix it in good.
Over a year...No popping noise !