Leveling blocks, anyone use these?

Kblock108

I saw these at giant rv...they say 1-4 inches, anyone use these?

egadyren.jpg

ILH

Nope - I'm old school. I use planks of wood. But on my next RV I'm getting the 6 point levelling system.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I got tired putting things under my tires to try to level and stabilize my trailer. Got a leveling system. No problems now.BC

Wharton

No. I use wood. These look useless and plastic breaks down in the sun. To protect your tire from damage the entire tire should be on a block, these look like they wouldn't be wide enough and you would still need wood if you needed to level to a different height. We have 3 pieces of wood. 2 2x10x4' and 1 2x10x2'. Rarely use them since most overnight sites are "level enough", only use them if we are setting up for a longer period.

We have tried the plastic blocks under the front feet and find they break, back to good old wood. Plastic just can't take the sun or the weight.

Wrenched

Yes, we have 3 packages of them. Very useful. Had bad experiences with wood - it splits, rots and if stored in the trailer, can cause mold to grow that you can't get rid of. Wood is also heavy. A 6 point leveling system is great of course, but is an expensive solution for weekend campers. The plastic blocks are handy, easy to clean and lightweight. Although I've used them under our front jacks, they're more suited to being used under the tires. They support the entire tread width on the large tires on our TH. We used Lynx levelers which came in a nice zippered package. For the hydraulic jacks, I like to use the heavy rubber square pads. Expensive, but strong.

jnbhobe

I alway used wood, now its level-up. I still have some plastic ones still in the packaging.

happykraut

I've used wood and plastic(now level up), but several of my plastic blocks have split in two or chunks broken off. Wooden planks are good, bit you might want to bevel the end at about a 45 degree angle. Personally I've never heard of anyone having problems with the 2by's splitting.

sjs731

I have wood and plastic. I have had no issues with plastic but I only use them under rear stabilizer so not much weight. I use wood under tires and front legs. Places I have been where ground has been soft causes problems with wood. I have had the wood start sinking into ground and it will warp and look contoured and the next time you use it and flip it the other way it will split and then you have some extra kindling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve and Carrie
HOC# 2252
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch
2012 Sundance 3300CK

I use plastic made for under level up jacks only. Have not had any problems past year. Before level up system used 3x10 treated no problem.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I got tired putting things under my tires to try to level and stabilize my trailer. Got a leveling system. No problems now.BC
But Bob, not everyone has your income. :angel:
I use plywood. I buy a 2'X2' handi panel and cut it into 4 12"squares. I also have a few 2"X8"X14" pieces in case I need more than the plywood. Using plywood also makes it pretty easy to use chocks front & rear.
In TXBobcat's defense though, he travels a lot and having level up makes setting up and tearing down for travel really fast and convenient. If I were to buy new, I would opt for the level up system.

wdk450

I use the plastic pads, have used solid wood (thick plywood sounds like a good idea). I have had the solid wood (2X4, 4x4, 2x8) spit down the grain of the wood. The plastics have their problems and their plusses. I have found the plastic ones to crack and break, especially on gravel, which can be an uneven base for them. I have had them slide instead of roll under the tires on smooth concrete or smooth asphalt. I have had them sink into soft semi-mud ground, and be real fun to get them unstuck. On the other hand there is no labor involved in making them, they are available at WalMart, they are uniform in size, and stack nicely for storage or getting higher lift. I think I may look into some marine plywood pieces to augment the plastic in situations that call for it.

9-larry

I use plastic they are lighter to handle and take up a lot less room. I bought a rubber mat at home depot 1" thick and split it down middle. I put this down on gravel or ground and then put plastic blocks on rubber. this keeps from damaging plastic blocks and you don,t have to dig mud or rocks out of plastic blocks. won't slid either. the mat is made of recycled rubber tires. I got mine at home depot, you can look on line for dealers also.

Last edited:

wdk450

9-Larry:
Your rubber mat idea sounds good, but I am having a hard time thinking which section of Home Depot would have 1 inch thick rubber mats. Can you let the group in on where in Home Depot to find them???

Thanks!

I use plastic they are lighter to handle and take up a lot less room. I bought a rubber mat at home depot 1" thick and split it down middle. I put this down on gravel or ground and then put plastic blocks on rubber. this keeps from damaging plastic blocks and you don,t have to gig mud or rocks out of plastic blocks. won't slid either.

Kblock108

I opted to get some treated wood for our next trip, but money for a leveling system does not make since we don't go out enough. I may give this a try, if not...I will take it back :)

Kbvols

I use wood. I have had the same boards now for 15 years. Treated wood painted them with black rustolem paint and never an issue. Most are in use for months at a time.

RoadJunkie

As stated, folks have been using wood--in various sizes and forms--to level their rigs and "Been doing it that way for years". Wood is readily available, cheap, and offers other uses on the road. However, after viewing the video on the constantly variable ramp concept, I think they are worth serious consideration. The synthetic material appears stout and not too susceptible to UV degradation within a reasonable period of time. I wonder what the weigh capacity rating is? I can't tell you how many times I've had wood split during the leveling process. In the spirit of embracing newer technology and ideas, I think I might give these a try.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
After watching that Video, those actually look pretty slick. I wonder if they are wide enough for the footprint of the tire.