leveling issues

We have a 2015 key largo landmark with a 6 jack leveling system, we were out last week and after I unhooked from tow vehicle I proceeded
to auto level the rv. The front landing jacks adjusted but when the middle and rear jacks started down the middle right jack only moved about
2 inches then stopped the right rear did not move at all. the left middle and rear jacks went down and started to level the rv and the stopped as the control panel indicated that the rv was level but the right jacks had not moved. I raised the rear jacks to the travel position and tried to auto level again same results. I then went to the manual mode and lowered the rear jacks which worked fine so what do I need to do to get the auto to operate correctly
Any suggestions? the jacks are lippert jacks

porthole

Retired
After going to manual mode, did you raise the rear jacks and attempt auto level again?
Turn off the LevelUP in between?

Hooked up to shore power?

Any chance you got a low voltage error while you were trying?

Last edited by a moderator:

jnbhobe

I bet it's the 50 amp breaker

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

yes we were connected to shore so there was no low voltage flags not sure if we have a level up button on our control panel will have to check

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
50amp breakers are a common failure part. These are small mini breakers located in your battery compartment or near your batteries.
494ba0db933c06d556f4539930540a73.jpg
69342d35573112ac2290e04d4a767751.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Could be the breaker. Could be the controller's programming encountered something the programmers didn't expect and got confused. Could be the zero calibration needs to be redone (procedure is near the bottom of the list in this folder).

jnbhobe

Do the slide-outs go out without stopping everytime.

I have no problem with slideout going in or out and if there was a problem with 50 amp breaker would that not cause a problem when I manually
level rv it appears that the 50 amp breaker controls the hydraulic pump.

kowAlski631

We've had a similar problem since November - our jacks would begin to descend, stop, and the controller not continue. We've learned to coax it by turning the controller off, count to 5, turn it back on and hit auto level again. Then it works for us. Raising the jacks has been a greater issue. They would stop when partially raised or only some raised. That would require a lot of patience in turning on and off and manually raising slowly. We're taking it in, but Lippert says probably the controller needs replacing.

porthole

Retired
Are you guys missing this part of the first post?

proceeded to auto level the rv. The front landing jacks adjusted but when the middle and rear jacks started down the middle right jack only moved about
2 inches then stopped the right rear did not move at all
the left middle and rear jacks went down and started to level the rv and the stopped as the control panel indicated that the rv was level but the right jacks had not moved. I raised the rear jacks to the travel position and tried to auto level again same results. I then went to the manual mode and lowered the rear jacks which worked fine

That would all seem to me that the normal 50 amp culprit is not in play here. Hydraulic 'electric' pump either works or it doesn't.

- - - Updated - - -

So Mr. RV Marley, any chance you may have bent one or both of the pistons on the offending side?

porthole

Retired
Here is another test you can try. You should have the truck available so that after doing this you can set the trailer back on the truck and raise all the jacks so you get back to a 'neutral' frame level.

Level the trailer front to rear with the front jacks.
Try lowering all four rear jacks at once with the "rear" button. Bring all the jacks down till they start to lift the trailer.
If that doesn't work because the jacks hang, make note of it.
If the all "rear" jacks doesn't work, lower the left and right sides until they just start to lift the trailer.

Once you have all the jacks preloaded, try and manually level side to side. If you push either the left or right buttons you will see the screen change to the degrees out of level.

Assuming you can do this means the jacks and pump are in fair shape.
Next test would be to start raising the trailer all the way, till the jacks run out of stroke.
Sometimes you can do this with just the rear button sometimes you will need to alternate side to side.

Using the rear button only will only move the middle and rear jacks
Using the left or right button will move all three jacks on that side.

Do this until it is obvious you have no more lift.
You should be able to get the the trailer several inches off the ground doing this.

If you can do this, that should mean your 12 volt power is sufficient and the electric pump and hydraulic side have the necessary capability.

Bent or sticking pistons will cause the problem you are experiencing. In any of the auto modes, the pump will run until a set amount of resistance is achieved, then switch to the next sequence.
If your piston is sticking, the circuitry may be reading that as a "grounded jack".

Note, that after doing the above test, your trailer may have a slight twist in the frame due to all the jacks being extended to max. Hence the reason to have your truck available. Put it back on the truck and raise all the jacks to unload the frame.

Another note, the best way to come off of an all jack, max extension, trailer off the ground scenario is to use the "all retract" function. This will activate all 6 jack release solenoids at once, which results in the least shock to the system and trailer.

As you do this - once the rear tires are on the ground and all jacks are still retracting hit any button on the controller which will activate an emergency 'panic' stop of the system. Some systems you can just hit enter to acknowledge, some you may have to turn the controller off then back on.

Give it a whirl and report back.

- - - Updated - - -

Another consideration, the Lippert controller tends to be a little voltage shy, meaning if it sees low voltage it kicks out. What I found with mine is that the Lippert controllers battery voltage reading is .5 to .6 lower then actual battery voltage, giving it a false low voltage error.

The controller doesn't know how far a jack is extended, what is does read is how much resistance the pump is generating as it runs a jack down. A piston that is sticking will cause a higher pump resistance.

I have discussed this with Bob Teague and he is aware of it, but never got back to me with a solution.

danemayer

Bent or sticking pistons will cause the problem you are experiencing. In any of the auto modes, the pump will run until a set amount of resistance is achieved, the switch to the next sequence.
If your piston is sticking, the circuitry may be reading that as a "grounded jack".

The controller doesn't know how far a jack is extended, what is does read is how much resistance the pump is generating as it runs a jack down. A piston that is sticking will cause a higher pump resistance.

Duane,

I was under the impression that the controller would operate the jacks until the Zero Level position was achieved, or if unable, it would throw an error message. When auto-retracting, it might be looking for resistance, but I don't know how it would do so when lifting the coach.

porthole

Retired
Duane,

I was under the impression that the controller would operate the jacks until the Zero Level position was achieved, or if unable, it would throw an error message. When auto-retracting, it might be looking for resistance, but I don't know how it would do so when lifting the coach.

Whenfirstgorundingthejacksinauto

When first grounding the jacks in auto, it is not trying necessarily trying to achieve level.

Using mine for an example.

I do have a jack with a bent piston. So at times it stops working in any of the auto modes.

Since my bent jack is on the right side, and the ride side is what extends first, at times I will see the right side jacks extend, then sometimes stop midway (at the bend)
Then the left side extends and lifts slightly, then the right side will extend and get close to or at level, usually followed by a small adjustment on the left side.

The right-left-right-left operation is to assure all the jacks are being used to level. Instead of for example, the left side is low and the system only using the left side jacks to level.

So for my example, the first sequence of jack extension is not trying to achieve level, just getting to a baseline point to start.

The system "grounds" the jacks before auto leveling.

- - - Updated - - -

Would be nice if Bob Teague would join the forum and set us all straight.