Leveling planks VS blocks

patrick1945

I carry 2 2X10 6' planks to level the wheels of my FW and also have used them to change a flat. I would like to reduce the weight SO am looking for an alternative that will perform both functions.

Thoughts and experiences?

Someone told me that the LYNX type blocks will work for rear stabilizers but won't last under the tires..

truknutt

Committed Member
Lynx blocks seem to be a thicker plastic than some of the other brands I've seen. We've used ours for quite awhile with no problems.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I too carry long 2x10s in the back of my truck. I prefer this over the small square blocks myself. Also prefer to have my tires setting on a complete flat surface unlike the blocks with voids in them. Just my take on it.

Mark

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I use both. If the wooden plank is not enough I will put the plastic blocks on top of them or if I just need one tire elevated I can use the blocks.

beasleyrl

I've been using Lynx blocks for about 3 years. Other trailer (Cougar) -- never had a problem. New Cyclone 3912 - has broken about 6 of them so far (about a year). The Cyclone is heavy and the Lynx blocks can't handle the weight.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
I've got a set of the Lynx that I bought in 1995 when I got my new pop-up. Went from the Coleman to the Terry tag-a-long to the Jayco Eagle to the Montana Mountaineer 5er and now to the Landmark Pinehurst. Still going strong. I swear by them.:)

creeper

I have three sets of Lynx blocks. Bighorn 3400RL, no problems so far and I had them all twisted up at times.

hillsonwheels

My two cents...Not knowing any better I bought Lynx blocks when we first got our rig. But, being a carpenter's son, I have since starting using 5' long 2x12's. Problem with them or any smaller width is that the weight of the coach will cause the boards to split length wise. My recent fix has been to rip saw the boards into 1 1/2" strips, drill 5/8" holes that line up thru the sides of those strips in three locations...one in the center and the other two about 6" from each end. I then cut a piece of 1/2" all thread to length and use washers and nuts to tighten and squeeze the strips together. I did the same for my jack pads. Of course they are only about a foot square with two all thread "bolts" about 3" from each end to hold them together. Have since been debating the merits of tearing them apart and adding some waterproof glue before reassembly. I admit they are heavy but I've already seen both sandy and muddy parking conditions where the Lynx blocks just wouldn't hack it.

Dick

ChopperBill

I have some of those plastic blocks but when I get serous I use a pair of these I made.
279084156.jpg

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
I use 2X10's also under my Bighorn. I have been in areas where the smaller Lynx blocks simply would not work as needed. I carry three different lengths of 2X10's and they have worked in every wet, muddy, uneven, sloped or rocky situation I have encountered thus far. Granted, wood is heavier and the Lynx blocks are lighter but I have seen to many broken Lynx blocks in campground dumpsters and split under the landing gear and tires of heavy RV's. Yes, wood will split eventually but if you screw a section of plywood the same width and length as your 2X10, or whatever size you use, to the top and bottom of the board, you will find it adds strength and flexibility to the board.

Delaine and Lindy

We used Lynx plastic blocks for many years, yes they will crack on gravel surface but I have three sets when we started and still have 2 1/2 set left. I never liked hauling the 2x6's around. And I used them under the wheels and they can be bought at Wally World. However with the 5th wheel we now have we don't have a need for leveling blocks. With the side to side leveling system which is a hydraulic system we now have we no longer need leveling blocks. GBY.....

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
We use boards as well but have them in 3 foot sections. One for each tire. Each board has a single section and a double section because sometimes one board just isn't enough. Placed end to end we can back either onto a single section or continue onto the next level with no fuss. They each have a handle to make them easier for me to carry and the shorter length makes them easier to store.