Leveling

theharveys

Hoss,
I have some small bubble levels mounted on the outside of my trailer, near the switch for the front landing gear.
I level my trailer side to side using wood (2x10 or 1x10) under the tires on the low side. I then level the trailer front to back with the front landing gear.
I have never used any additional jacks or levelers for leveling purposes.
I believe this is the way most RVers level their trailers.
I do use a set of telescoping steel jack stands just behind the axles under the frame for stabilization purposes.

HOSS

Thanks Jeff, I have some oak 2x6 planks I can cut for the wheels. My trailer also has the electric stabilizer jacks installed on the back also. I guess I could put the scissor jacks behind the rear axle and the front axle for extra stabilization. Thanks for the input. It will be a few weeks before we can do the "shake down" camping trip, so I want to be as ready as I can be.

HOSS

cmart

Hoss, I was told during my PDI that the rear stabilizer jacks weren't for leveling. You need to level your unit using blocks, etc; then slide out your slides, then lower your rear stabilizer jacks. By doing this you wouldn't put your slide in a bind. Hope this helps.

slaytop

I would agree that leveling the trailer side-to-side from the rear or front of the frame would not be wise. Although I haven't researched the idea, I would assume that attempting to level side-to-side from any extreme corner would place an undesireable twist on the frame. Wheel blocks or jacks near the suspension hangers on the frame work the best. Manual jacks are difficult, time consuming and more hazardous than wheel blocks. The trailer should be leveled before unhitching so the front legs can be set in place properly. Also, don't forget to secure the wheels with wheel chocks before unhitching so the unit doesn't move unexpectedly.

HOSS

It's so good to have a forum like this that you can find and get the help you need, especialy for someone like myself just getting into RVing. I thank all for the help and suggestions, I will keep on reading and learning, thanks guys.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
HOSS -

You are SO correct! I've taken in more than I can retain! Jim, John, LK, and ALL the other HOs (Heartland Owners) have been a wealth of knowledge for me; I just picked up my 1st RV last Saturday! I have read just about every posting on this thing since the middle of January, I feel like I already know most of them personally and can not wait to meet them! It was definitely because of this forum that I wasn't naive, ignorant, gullible nor intimidated when I went to pick up my rig. My dealer was awesome, too! Hope to see you in Branson!

sealman

Finished my air bags yesterday, tested them under the Jeep. Headed to Bandera TX tomorrow for a real test.
John

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Air Bags!

Sealman -

What's our chances on getting some photos of those bags on here! I wanna make some too! Thanks!

HOSS

Yea HT I know what you mean, I spend about 2 hours each night reading all the latest posts to the forum learning all I can.
It doesn't look like we will be able to get to Branson this year, but anything can happen between now and then. I know it would be alot of fun!

sealman

Here is the link to the air bags.....The only changes I made was to go to 1-1/4 x1 u-channel with 6 holes....I used 3/8" bolts......Be sure that the ends of the metal extend just past the ends of the hose mat'l for a good seal.....If you have any questions give me a call
John

//heartlandowners.org/forum...t=air+levelers