LevelUp Issue

Hunter11

We seem to have developed a new issue on our new Landmark. We were laying in bed watching TV last night around 9:30 and heard a pop that sounded like it was right under us. We kind of looked at each other but my first thought was the LevelUp system. It happened two more times in a 15 minute period. I finally got up and went out and re-leveled the trailer and we did not hear the noise again overnight. I did not do any checking or trouble shooting as I had to be up at 4:30 am for work. I have read the LCI manual "Adding anti-stiction fluid to LCI Hydraulic systems" in the HOM but can't imagine this would be the issue since this was put out in July 2013 so one would assume they do that no before any unit is shipped. For right now I am just going to watch it and see if it happens again. My wife is beginning to think we made a bad choice with this trailer.

danemayer

Not everyone with auto-leveling experienced the clunking/popping noises, so Lippert may not be adding the fluid to every installation. They released this fix just about a year ago and while the number of posts about noisy jacks used to be very high, they've tapered off to almost nothing.

You might give Lippert Customer Service a call.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Yep...ours does it too...especially while temps are changing (early morning and evenings)...haven't gotten around to getting Tork fluid yet. Has never affected the level of the unit...

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
For right now I am just going to watch it and see if it happens again. My wife is beginning to think we made a bad choice with this trailer.
Why wait. It will happen again. It's about $15 per quart.
I added a quart of Torco 15, no more noise.

Peace
Dave

Hunter11

Dave, I actually just ordered a quart. I did talk to Lippert and they gave me a couple of things to check when I get home but did say if those things check out then get a quart of the fork oil to add. I figured go ahead and get it and be done with it.

Ladiver

Mine was/is in the shop for a different issue regarding the LevelUp system. When the shop asked Lippert about the popping and referenced the TSB, Lippert refused to deal with it. Even though it is under warranty, they specifically denied all claims involving my LevelUp system.

But yes, get the fluid and that should solve the problem.

marvmarcy

I've been dealing with this problem for 2 1/2 years. As I sit here writing this post my rig is popping and jolting. I've added 3 qts of antistiction fluid which only seems to help temporarily but certainly doesn't eliminate the problem. I've also seen frame twist and flex that likely contributes to the problem. I believe that much of the sudden movement is horizontal, and that is why it is worse on cement pads and better when cushioning blocks are used under the jacks or when the rig is setting on a softer surface. It is also worse when the rig is higher with greater jack extension, because this places more lateral and twisting stress on the frame. However, I've never had the rig need releveling. Although there is some correlation with temperature change, epecially rapid and significant change, I've had significant popping with alarming movement in the rig when there have been no changes in temperature. The popping occurs slightly more in the front jacks but happens in any jack - sometimes all four in rapid order. Although the popping is noisy and jarring, it doesn't result in enough movement of the jacks to be measurable.

Another recent thread mentioned Heartland using new Lippert frames. If this is true, stonger, more rigid frames should help relieve this problem.

Hunter11

I ordered a quart from Amazon this morning.

As a side note, I was told by the Lippert tech this morning that with all the slides out and the jacks all down that the fluid tank should be about 3/4 full. I checked ours when we got home and it is about 1/2 full. I will add the quart of Torco Fork Oil when it is delivered and hope fully that will bring it to 3/4 tank. I will then run the slides in and out then run the jacks up and re-level. Hopefully that will take care of this issue.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I see that as a problem. Does he know if the levelers are fully extended or partially extended. That will make a difference in the fluid level.
Check the fluid level when everything is retracted. At that point your fluid should be about 1/2 from the top.
I know that I am not a Lippert tech, but I have been using the system for nearly four years and I know how it works.....kinda.

Peace
Dave

Majestic

We levelled up on a concrete site that the front was almost max, temp change of 70 at night, scared the ..... Out of us early am.
We have never heard of Tork fluid, is this available at truck stops?

Hunter11

Check the fluid level when everything is retracted. At that point your fluid should be about 1/2 from the top.

Dave, with everything retracted (slides and jacks) is the fluid level suppose to be 1/2 tank or 1/2" from the top?