Life expectancy of original drum brakes - and axles

Fox

With our (2) prior RVs our travels were always limited by time and distance = meaning very little miles away from home (therefore I always ignored these road systems). Now my bride wants to travel more so we have purchased a fairly new Bighorn.

Is there a general consensus as to how long (or far) I can expect the current drum brakes to last? I'm also concerned that with specs of 16K loaded pounds I only have two 7K axles.

This Cheap Charlie doesn't want to throw away reasonably functional equipment (and is willing to gamble on them a bit); any thoughts (within those constrains) as to when it'd be reasonable to look into replacing the OEM equipment with disc brakes and stronger (8K) axles?

One additional question? If/when I upgrade axles will it require new wheels (and therefore new tires as well)?

Remember I'm an admitted Cheap Charlie.

hoefler

The 7K axles are more than adequate for your weight, 25% of the rated capacity is expected to be carried by the tow vehicle. As far as the brakes, depends on your driving, and the terrain you drive. I had a set of new shoes delaminate and destroy my drums in less than a year. Disc brakes is a good investment at any time, sooner the better IMO. I had a set delivered to my door for $1,600, and I installed installed in my driveway, took me 6 1/2 hours.

B

BouseBill

Yep, brakes depend on your driving conditions and style of driving, as full-timers we are loaded and only have 11.4K on the rear axles so two 7K axles are more than adequate.

mlpeloquin

Change to Disk Brakes. You would not believe the difference. This is a safety issue not an extravagant purchase.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Had a set of OEM Dexter self adjusting brakes go in less than 1000 miles. Replaced with manual adjust. Just replaced them 2 weeks ago. Just over 21000 miles on that set. 2 were shot and 2 still had some life left on them.

MTPockets

We travelled over 4 1/2 years full time from FL to WA to AZ, IN, and back With no drum brake issues. About every 12 - 18 months had Bearings repacked and checked brake linings; always in great shape. Just check them annually and act accordingly.

asherwin

Replaced original drum brakes this spring after six years of travel, including return trips to south Texas, Arizona, several winters in Florida and many short trips in the area. No brake issues at all. Annual bearings repack and brake inspections. 7k axles and travel weight of 15,500lbs.

Fox

Thank you all, I believe I'll wait until the first annual inspection report says it's time.
Upping the axle capacity will make me feel better and may (likely) occur when I do brake upgrade.