Lifting Hitch off when attached to pin

MarkL

I need to remove the 5th Wheel Hitch from my truck and I don't have anyone available to help me lift it off. I was wondering if I could connect the Pin to the hitch, remove the 4 pins that hold it to the bed rails and use the landing gear to lift the hitch off the truck and hold it for a couple of days. This is my first 5th wheel and I don't want to damage anything. Thoughts?

Rickhansen

Sure. Why not? I've not done this myself, but have seen it done several times. I can't imagine any problems, except the frustration that you can't likely reverse the process to re-install.

jnbhobe

You can do it that way but its hard top put back in. Most hitches come apart far enough to make the hitch manageable for one person. What make is the hitch??

Mine is hanging on the pin now and will be till spring, then I can set it down very close to the right spot with the front jacks. No strain and it is out of the way.

brianharrison

Another option if you need to remove and replace more often - I rigged up a cheap electric winch overhead in the garage - a couple of straps, back in, lift up, drive out, lower to wagon and wheel away. Reverse to install.

Brian

MarkL

Thanks to the Mods for moving to the correct forum and thanks for all the responses. I thought it would be just fine but my Wife was concerned. Thanks for the reassurance!

porthole

Retired
I also will do this several times throughout the season. I have the winch in the garage, but the new truck will never fit. So it is the "pin hoist" for me if needed.
My hitch is heavy and it doesn't come apart. About 300 pounds. It also has air bags, so when it is hanging on the pin box I have a cover I made up for it out of a old/new tonneau cover.